Thursday, March 17, 2016

Perspective

"Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us." Romans 5:3-5



As I was having a pity party over some heel pain that wouldn't go away and caused me to skip a run yesterday, I came across a friend's Facebook post that really humbled me. Dakota Vincent, a young man with Cerebral Palsy from Diamond, MO, wrote about the lessons his suffering (pain more than most of us could ever imagine or will ever experience) had taught him and how God was using it to strengthen him to 'have a great impact on others." In his words:

There's many different severities and forms of Cerebral Palsy, I have a milder case. Both legs and my right arm- and right side are weaker and much worse than the left side. I know many people who have the worst severity of it and every time it breaks my heart! I know what I've personally been through and it's not been easy, so I can only imagine what they've endured. The more serious cases, can't walk or talk. 

The Dr's told my parents I would never walk. I'm walking, yep! CP affects everything on the inside to, things you wouldn't expect! All my muscles on the inside are affected, not just the things that can be visibly seen. Eyes, and speech, and even hearing abilities. 


I wouldn't trade this crazy ride for anything. I've got a crazy awesome view of the world that you might not. I've met some amazing people along the way. It's been a challenge for sure especially the last year, so many complications from major surgery on both legs back in August. From major infection to multiple leg breakings, to my third go at 4 months of pt. to nerve damage. Still have to restart therapy again. 3 more months beginning in two weeks. Nothing I can't get through! I've often thought why I was picked, this goes to everyone who has been through the ringer-


I firmly believe that God puts the challenges on his toughest soldiers! He knows that we will be able to get through the tough stuff without any consolation and have a great impact on others. 

Positive thinking goes a long way! Yep! 

Wow! What a testimony right? Hudson Taylor once wrote, "At the timberline where the storms strike with the most fury, the sturdiest trees are found" Like Dakota, may you and I use those storms of life, the trials, suffering and pain, to develop in us the fortitude we need to press on-and yes, to even delight in our difficulties knowing God is there to hold us.

Heavenly Father, thank you for loving us so much that you would place hardships in our lives that would serve to draw us closer to you. May our experiences be used to help others and, for that, may we rejoice in our sufferings. May we keep our eyes and hearts continually focused on you as we navigate the challenges of this life. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Just be held - Casting Crowns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIZitK6_IMQ

No comments:

Post a Comment