Thursday, March 10, 2016

Go ahead and laugh

"And this world is fading away, along with everything that people crave. But anyone who does what pleases God will live forever." 1 John 2:17



Thanks to digital images and social media, there are now some things that will just live on forever... like really bad finish line race photos. I personally know this because somewhere along the 26.2 mile course at Little Rock last Sunday, unbeknownst to me, a lens had fallen out of my sunglasses. It's a mystery to me how I hadn't noticed but it wasn't until I crossed the finish line to meet up with a friend (who had crossed two minutes earlier) that I realized it. As he pointed at my face and laughed hysterically, I quickly decided that those would be one set of photos that I would never buy.

If we're truthful, I bet you and I could say that there are several things or images that we wish would just fade away or disappear. Well they will. In fact 1 John 2:17 tells us that, "this world is fading away, along with everything that people crave." The greatest part though is the promise that follows assuring us that, "anyone who does what pleases God will live forever." Knowing that everything in this world will soon pass away, including really bad finish line photos, should have us living in anticipation of better things, the eternal life that God has promised us.

So don't take life too seriously. Chuckle at those silly photos and the stupid things you do. Because as e.e. cummings wrote, "The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." All too soon this world and our lives will fade away and we will "live on forever" with our precious Savior.

Heavenly Father, thank you for filling us with your joy that we might laugh at our own mistakes and blunders. Help us to not take life so seriously but to focus on pleasing you in all we say and do that we might live forever in your presence. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Live on Forever - The Afters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK2irlSvgCg

No comments:

Post a Comment