Wednesday, August 6, 2014

We need friends

"A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken."  Ecclesiastes 4:12


One of the biggest blessings in my life is my girlfriends. I love them!  We laugh together, cry together, run together, share each other's pain's and struggles, help one another through hard times and rejoice when one of us is particularly blessed!   God was so gracious to give us friends.  But the greatest friends on earth can not compare to the friend we have in Jesus,  "You are My friends if you do what I command you... I have called you friends".   The best part is...He chose us, "You did not choose Me but I chose you", and He appointed us,  "I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit".  John 15:14-16.  

Proverbs 27:17 says, "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend."  It's interesting that the Greek word for sharpen is paroksyno (para "alongside" and oxys "a sharp edge") figuratively meaning," "to provoke feelingsspurring someone to action"  Strongs Greek:3947.  Hebrew 10:24 says it like this, "And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds".  Isn't that what Christians should do?   Motivate one another to do the work to which God has called us?  Work together to "produce lasting fruit"?

It's no wonder then that God gave us friends.  By choosing the apostles and calling them friends, Jesus gave us the greatest example of how to best serve the Lord.   Jesus said that, "where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them."  Matthew 18:20.   What a blessing it is to have friends!

Heavenly Father, thank you for giving us friends to help us, love us and serve alongside us.  I pray that our friendships help us grow and spur us on to do many more good deeds than we could ever do alone.  I pray that we would be the friend to others that you have called us to be. In Your precious name we pray Jesus.  Amen. 

Happy running!!!

Lean on me-DC Talk


No comments:

Post a Comment