Friday, August 22, 2014

By God's grace

"As God's fellow workers we urge you not to receive God's grace in vain." 2 Corinthians 6:1


Grace is a wonderful thing.  Do you know that grace is mentioned 170 times in the bible?  I'd say that means it is important.  But do we really understand what God's grace is and how blessed we are to receive it?  “Grace” derives from the Greek, charis. In secular Greek, charis was related to chairo, “to rejoice.” As far back as Homer it denoted “sweetness” or “attractiveness.” It came to signify “favor,” “goodwill,” and “lovingkindness” — especially as granted by a superior to an inferior.  

There's certainly none more superior than God and none as inferior as you and me.  So the grace granted by Him to us is a glorious thing - one we should not take for granted.  When's the last time you thanked God for His grace in your life?  Have you even taken time to notice that grace was being granted to you? Grace is, quite simply, God's unmerited favor in our lives.  It's the reason we are where we are and the only reason we will inherit eternal life.  Its the reason for the good things we enjoy and the blessings we boast about.  It's by nothing we have done to earn it, but given out of  God's great love for us. Ephesians 2:8-9 says, " For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-- not by works, so that no one can boast." Take the extra time today to appreciate what He has given you.  And then, today and everyday, take the time to thank Him.  

"I am not what I ought to be. I am not what I want to be. I am not what I hope to be. But still, I am not what I used to be. And by the grace of God, I am what I am." -John Newton

Heavenly Father, thank you for the gift of grace.  I pray that we remember that it's only by your grace that we are saved and only by your grace that we have another day to serve you.  May we make the most of today and every day as a way of saying "thank you" for the blessing you have so freely given.  It's only in your precious name we pray Jesus, Amen. 

Happy running!!!
www.team413.org


Praise the Lord because in every moment Jesus Christ is Lord - The City Harmonic

No comments:

Post a Comment