Thursday, August 28, 2014

Defining Moment


"But Ruth replied, “Don’t ask me to leave you and turn back. Wherever you go, I will go; wherever you live, I will live. Your people will be my people, and your God will be my God. Wherever you die, I will die, and there I will be buried. May the Lord punish me severely if I allow anything but death to separate us!”  When Naomi saw that Ruth was determined to go with her, she said nothing more." Ruth 1:16-18




When I was much younger,  I worked for a most wonderful woman who took me under her wing as her personal assistant (a tough job I felt totally unequipped to do). I do believe she saw something in me that I didn't see in myself.  She was the busy founder and president of a large company but still took the time to send out individual cards and gifts to her hundreds of employees and was generous in all parts of her life. That was 16 years ago and I remember many of the lessons she taught me and still smile when she comes to mind. Whether she realized it or not, she was my mentor, the person God put in my life to shape and mold me for a time and a purpose. Working for her was definitely one of the  "defining moments" in my life. Although the Bible doesn't use the word mentor, it frequently describes successful mentoring relationships: Jesus and His disciples, Barnabas and Paul, Paul and Timothy, Naomi and Ruth (one of my favorites), Moses and Joshua, Elizabeth and Mary (the mother of Jesus), and many others. All are great examples of people God brought together and the God-inspired actions they took to help one another develop and grow.

Consider what it means to be a biblical example and mentor to others, " Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can urge the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God. Similarly, encourage the young men to be self-controlled. In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us." Titus 2:3-8

If you're now in a situation to teach and guide another, don't take it lightly. You may be the only one to ever talk to that person about Jesus - you may be the only one to show them kindness, acceptance and love.  If you are in the position to be a mentor, remember that your words and actions can be the "defining moment" in someone's life. God put you where you are for a reason.  

Heavenly Father, thank You for those people willing to step out and show your love to a dying world. My prayer is that we would be compassionate and caring to those we meet and listen to the Holy Spirit if we are to speak.  I pray that we will search for ways to do so.  May we be a light in the darkness to those searching for You.  In your precious name we pray Jesus, Amen.

Happy running!!

Defining Moment - Newsong

No comments:

Post a Comment