Thursday, August 7, 2014

Conquer your giants

"Reaching into his shepherd’s bag and taking out a stone, he hurled it with his sling and hit the Philistine in the forehead. The stone sank in, and Goliath stumbled and fell face down on the ground. So David triumphed over the Philistine with only a sling and a stone, for he had no sword." 1 Samuel 17:49-50


Related image
I love the story of David and Goliath.  It's a story of how faith can overcome any obstacle:  Goliath was a Philistine giant measuring over nine feet tall who came out each day for forty days mocking and challenging the Israelites to fight.  Saul, the great King of Israel, and his army were terrified of him.  David, sent only to the battle field to check on his brothers and not even a soldier, saw the situation and volunteered to fight Goliath without hesitation.  Armed only with faith in God, a sling and three stones, he took that giant down!

Several years ago, I was cornered by two vicious dogs on one of my favorite back roads.  It's only by God's grace that I escaped.  Since that day, I never ran down that road again.  In fact, I gave up every road where I knew there were dogs, fenced or not.  I was literally scared stiff even thinking about running by a dog.  Can you believe that even after praying on this continually (3 years!) I was still too frightened to attempt it?  But yesterday was the day!  With David in mind, I armed myself and began my run intent on facing my giant.  As I could feel my heart beating out of my chest, I ran past those dogs (the owners were ticketed and told to keep them in a pen) who were keeping their eyes on me the whole time as they barked to be released.  "Woohoo, I've done it!" I thought to myself.   As I continued on my run, happy with the conquest, I jumped out of my skin at a barking chihuahua.  I think I have a little more work to do on slaying that giant but at least I maimed him.  David had three stones, I'll just have to try again and again.    

Is there a giant in your life that you need to slay?  Is there a fear you need to overcome? By following David's example, you can take down even the biggest and most feared of giants.  Your giant may be an addiction, an unhealthy relationship or any number of things.  With faith in God, you can overcome them all and be victorious.  If the first attempt is not successful, keep trying!  

Heavenly Father, I know there are people struggling to overcome fear and obstacles.  I pray strength for every one of them that they may arm themselves with the faith that David had and slay their giant.  It's only by your strength and power that we can do anything Lord.  Let us glorify your name as we overcome our fears and proclaim your greatness for all the world to hear.  In your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen.  

Happy running!!!

We are victorious-Donnie McClurkin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEa0TKx1d-c


No comments:

Post a Comment