Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Find your quiet place

"My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."  Galatians 2:20


Sometimes, while running and listening to praise music, I have to fight the urge to close my eyes and give myself up entirely to enjoying God's presence.  I remember vividly a day I did just that, abruptly brought back to reality by the shock of one misstep and falling down.  All that in the middle of a pretty good pace I should say.  Oh I'm sure that was a sight to bring tears of laughter for those watching.  I pondered why I, and many other people, close their eyes when they are praying, worshiping or just enjoying the presence of Jesus. Could it be that, since Christ lives in us, that by closing off the outside world and taking away the distractions, we can see and feel Him better?  I think so.    

Susanna Wesley was the mother of 19 children (only 10 of which lived past the age of 2) including John (founder of Methodism) and Charles (author of more than 9000 songs and hymns) Wesley .  As a mother of 10, you can imagine that her life was busy and allowed for little, if any, quiet time with the Lord.  However she found a way around that.  When she sat in the kitchen and pulled her apron up over her head, all her children knew that she was in prayer and they were only to interrupt if the house was on fire or somebody was dying.   Although she never preached a sermon to anyone but her children, she is known as the Mother of Methodism.  This was no doubt because she refused to let any situation keep her away from her "quiet time" with Jesus.   She knew how important it was for her and for her children.  Matthew 6:6-8 says, "“But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you. And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words. So do not be like them; for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him." 

No matter where you may be or who what may be surrounding you, you can always find time to pray.  Simply close your eyes to the world around you and talk to God.  Since He lives in us, He is always there and ready to listen.  

Heavenly Father, thank you for living inside us so that we are never without You.  May we remember that we can always go to a "quiet place" even when there isn't one to be seen by simply closing our eyes.  Thank you for giving us this power to change lives... the power of prayer.  In your precious name we pray Jesus, Amen.  

Happy running!!!
www.team413.org

Our Father who art in Heaven-Michael W. Smith


No comments:

Post a Comment