Saturday, July 19, 2014

the power of a smile

the power of a smile


"Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited."  Romans 12:16


A friend of mine made the comment yesterday that she tried to purposely look people in the eye so she could smile at them and found it difficult because so many people never make eye contact anymore.  They just seem to go on in their own little world.   As I pondered why that was, it came to mind that people are either too focused on themselves to risk having to socialize with another person or have been rejected so many times that they no longer expose themselves to any opportunity to be hurt.  Last year, after running the St. Louis RNR Marathon, I was walking back to my car along with hundreds of other runners.  We were easy to spot with our mylar running blankets wrapped around our bodies and the medals around our necks (not to mention the post marathon gait we were all displaying).   Runners and their families were happily chatting as they were headed back to their vehicles and reliving all the details of the race.  About that time, I noticed (what appeared to be) a homeless man.  He was as oblivious to the festive runners as they were to him.  He was just sitting there on the concrete bench talking to himself, shaking his head and fiddling with his fingers.  As I watched person after person pass him without so much as a glance in his direction, I felt the need to stop.  I waited until he finally looked up and looked him in the eye.  At that moment, my heart was overcome with love.  I can't explain it but know that it was only through the Holy Spirit that this intense emotion abounded.  I smiled large and said "hi".  He looked at me intently, smiled back (with the few teeth he had remaining) and returned the greeting.  He appeared surprised and yet happy at the same time.  I wished him a most blessed day as we both paused for a moment to acknowledge each other's presence, smiled again, and continued walking to the car with my friend as I silently prayed that he would come to know Jesus.  

I realize that we can't help everybody but we can take the time to acknowledge that we value each person as a creation of Christ, offer them a smile and pray for them.  1 Corinthians 15:10 tells us that, "But by the grace of God I am what I am".  It is by nothing that any of us has done that we are blessed to be where we are... sitting at a computer or smart phone to access the internet, most likely in a home or at a job (thank God for your job) with plenty to eat and a car to drive.  Job 1:21 reminds us of just how dependent we are on God for our circumstances when Job said, "I came naked from my mother's womb, and I will be naked when I leave. The LORD gave me what I had, and the LORD has taken it away. Praise the name of the LORD!".    

Yes! Praise the Lord in all circumstances and remember the words of Hebrews 13:1-2, "Keep on loving one another as brothers and sisters. Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it."  Just smile!!!   I will never understand the good that a simple smile can accomplish-Mother Theresa.  

Heavenly Father, thank you for your grace, kindness and mercy.  Thank you for the blessings of a home, job, car and all the other wonderful things you have allowed us to enjoy in this life. Help us to never take them for granted or be ungrateful for them.  I pray that we never look down on another in a position some might consider lower than ours.  Help us to remember that we are all sinners saved by grace and that we have a responsibility to be kind to others to let Your light shine through us.  In Your precious name we pray Jesus, Amen.

Happy Running!!!
www.team413.org

I know God is working so I smile-Kirk Franklin







No comments:

Post a Comment