Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Today is your life

Today is your life



"“LORD, remind me how brief my time on earth will be.  Remind me that my days are numbered—how fleeting my life is.  You have made my life no longer than the width of my hand.  My entire lifetime is just a moment to you; at best, each of us is but a breath.”  We are merely moving shadows, and all our busy rushing ends in nothing.  We heap up wealth, not knowing who will spend it.  And so, Lord, where do I put my hope?  My only hope is in you."  Psalm 39:4-7





Do you ever wonder where the time went? How you got so old?  Maybe your life turned out the way you planned and maybe it didn't. Either way, life didn't pause while you had time to figure it out.  If you're reading this, you still have today. And today is the best day to make a change.   If we knew how long our life would last, it would be easy to wait to be the "right" person or do the "right" things.  But since we don't, we would be wise to be ready.   Job 14:5 reminds us of this, "You have decided the length of our lives. You know how many months we will live, and we are not given a minute longer."   

As I'm watching my parents grow older and more aware of the inevitable, they often reflect back on their lives and  I'm taking notes.   If we're wise, we will learn from others' mistakes while we still have the time to keep from making them ourselves.  

Things I've learned from watching my parents and other adults grow old:

1. Do what you can while you can.

2. If it's not helping you grow closer to God or helping someone else, it's a waste of time.  It won't be remembered and it's not worthy of your time.

3. We will all die

4. If you think you're in control of your life, ask someone who just received "the call" about the results of a test or x-ray who is really in control.

5. Your body will not stay the same-either embrace the changes, praising God for the good things, or fight it and be bitter but know life goes on either way.

6. The party does not end when you leave, you'll be missed for only a moment, but the celebration will go on.

7. If you aren't impacting your children, someone else is-and probably not for the best.

8. It's better to give your children love,discipline and an understanding of the Word than the gifts, toys and treasures this world offers.

9. Love as hard as you can for as long as you're able. Show your children how to love and serve others by being their example.

10. Death is not the end. It's just the closing of one door to the opening of another. Only you can choose where you spend eternity.

Heavenly Father, thank you for every day that you give us.  May we never take for granted each minute, day and hour that You grant us to have.  I pray we realize that our time is not ours and that we are to spend each day serving You and teaching the next generation to do the same.  May we leave a legacy of love to our children and those around us.  In Your precious name we pray Jesus, Amen.

Happy running!!!

Right before I die, I gotta live-Kirk Franklin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DilC_rxVoPs&list=RDDilC_rxVoPs




No comments:

Post a Comment