Wednesday, July 9, 2014

There is a season

There is a season


"There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven-A time to give birth and a time to die; A time to plant and a time to uproot what is planted.  A time to kill and a time to heal; A time to tear down and a time to build up.  A time to weep and a time to laugh;  A time to mourn and a time to dance.  A time to throw stones and a time to gather stones; A time to embrace and a time to shun embracing.  A time to search and a time to give up as lost; A time to keep and a time to throw away.  A time to tear apart and a time to sew together; A time to be silent and a time to speak. A time to love and a time to hate; A time for war and a time for peace."  Ecclesiastes 3:1-8


In the past month, I have rejoiced over the birth of a child, prayed with a friend whose parent was (and still is) in the ICU, celebrated my son's 16th birthday, gone to two funerals, had a friend diagnosed with cancer, cried and prayed over countless situations and faced a life-changing circumstance in my own life. Every day things are changing. I used to long for change and find myself now wanting time to stop.  I remember wanting to grow up quickly to get away from my parents and now I dread the day I can no longer pick up the phone to talk to them. I remember being a newlywed and now I'm going on 23 years of marriage. I remember longing for the day when the kids would be a little older so I would have some time to myself and now I dread the day they will leave home.  

I suppose that's human nature though. I think the phrase "you don't know what you've got til it's gone" has a lot of truth to it.   It just seems we are never happy...that is, until we know Christ. King Soloman (who wrote Ecclesiastes), the son of King David, tried many things (lots of wives and concubines, acquiring material things, alcohol, soul searching, gaining wisdom) in life trying to find fulfillment until he finally realized that true happiness comes only from God. Ecclesiastes 3 points out that every good "season" of life is followed by one that is not so easy and that there is truly a "time for everything and every event under heaven."


Soloman learned the secret of true happiness and Paul knew the secret of true contentment when, as a prisoner, he wrote the words, "I have learned how to be content with whatever I have.  I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength." Philippians 4:11-13.  It's only through Christ that we can find happiness and contentment in every season, situation and circumstance of life.  In the good times praise Him (and embrace the time with all you have)-and in the bad times, praise Him too taking shelter in His arms.  

Heavenly Father, thank you for this life you have given us. May we be find contentment in You so that we may enjoy wherever we are in our life's journey.  When the seasons change for what we believe to be the worst, may we trust in You knowing that your plan is perfect. Surround us with Your presence Lord so we will never be without You-the true source of our strength and happiness.  In Your precious name we pray Jesus, Amen. 


Happy Running!!!
www.team413.org


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKu8_BUGPKc
There is none like you.  I could search for all eternity long and find there is none like you-Shane and Shane.


No comments:

Post a Comment