Friday, July 11, 2014

There are no coincidences

There are no coincidences



"Remember the former things, those of long ago; I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me. I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say, ‘My purpose will stand,and I will do all that I please.’ From the east I summon a bird of prey; from a far-off land, a man to fulfill my purpose. What I have said, that I will bring about; what I have planned, that I will do." Isaiah 46:9-11

I had the pleasure of running the Hospital Hill Half marathon with my sister and brother-in-law last month in Kansas City.   As the rain was coming down during the race, my sister and I were talking and laughing-me doing most of the talking as usual, when a guy behind us said, "I know that laugh!  And that shirt!  Aren't you that girl from the Psycho Wyco trail run last year?".  I turned around and acknowledged that I definitely had run that race and vaguely recognized him even though we hadn't talked.  He said that he had been behind me for several miles listening to me sing and laugh all the while reading the back of my shirt.  That's how he knew me!   Isn't that funny? And to have our paths cross again a year later on the course with 7000 other runners?  Coincidence?  No way.  I am thoroughly convinced that God has a plan. There is nothing that happens by chance.  Proverbs 20:24 says, "A man’s steps are from the LORD; how then can man understand his way?"  In fact, the word coincidence is translated from the Greek word synkyrian, which is a combination of two words: sun and kurios.  Sun means “together with,” and kurious means “supreme in authority.” So a biblical definition of coincidence would be “what occurs together by God’s providential arrangement of circumstances.” gotquestions.org

This is what I have learned through many miles, races and times spent with the Lord.  Nothing happens by chance.  He will put me exactly where He wants me when He wants me there.  I don't have to understand it, like it or agree with it but I must do as He commands if I am to glorify Him. So, now as I'm finishing packing to travel to this race once again, I am anxious to see what God has planned.  And wondering if it involves this same gentleman (I can't wait to share the Source of my joy with him). While I wouldn't even begin to fathom His ways, His plans or His thoughts, I know that "Our lives are in his hands, and he keeps our feet from stumbling."  Psalm 66:9.  

Whatever you may be going through right now, rest assured that He will guide your steps and direct your path if You will live to follow Him, "My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me." John 10:27.   And by doing so, you will be ready to run the race and give Him the glory.

Heavenly Father, thank you for guiding our steps and keeping our feet from stumbling. We pray for strength and endurance to run the race set before us and for boldness to share Your word with those we meet along the course.  May you be praised and glorified through everything we do.  May we trust in Your plan even when we are unsure and our faith is failing. In Your precious name we pray, Jesus.  Amen.

Happy Running!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment