Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Say the words

"Better is open rebuke than hidden love."  Proverbs 27:5


When I was first married many years ago, I found it strange that my husband and his father never said the words, "I love you".  My husband explained to me that he really had never given it much thought and that, by their actions, it was just assumed.  Well, not one to be stopped from speaking my mind or sharing my feelings, I told my father-in-law that I loved him often. Especially before leaving from visiting or hanging up the phone.  I will admit that it was awkward at first for both of us.  I was used to hearing it back and he didn't know how to respond.  My husband would just look at me and shake his head.  After several years, my husband's father began to reply "you too" after my outpouring of affection.  I knew God was working so I kept on saying it.  Many years later, my father-in-law told my husband that he loved him before hanging up the phone.  I remember the look in my husband's eyes as he fought back emotion and told me that his father had just told him that he loved him.  It was true...people do long to hear the words out loud.  I'm happy to say that those words are spoken very often now and my children benefit from hearing their grandfather say, "I love you".

Jesus displayed the ultimate action (John 10:17-18) love commanded when He died on the cross, “The Father loves me because I sacrifice my life so I may take it back again.  No one can take my life from me. I sacrifice it voluntarily. For I have the authority to lay it down when I want to and also to take it up again. For this is what my Father has commanded.” not because He had to but because He wanted to.   Showing love to others is a requirement and the most important thing we can do as Christians, "Three things will last forever--faith, hope, and love--and the greatest of these is love." 1 Corinthians 13:13.
But it should be something we want to do not feel we have to do simply because God commands it, "This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you."  John 15:12


Showing someone that you love them is indeed a wonderful thing.  But, we still need to tell them. There's just something about hearing those words that conveys to people that you think they are special and worthy of your time and effort.   Is there something stopping you from telling someone that today? Don't miss a chance to say the words, "I love you."  

Heavenly Father, thank you for being the ultimate example of love.  I pray that we all strive to make Your love known to others around us and remember to say "I love you" every day.  Thank you for dying on the cross-the ultimate display of love.  In Your precious name we pray Jesus, Amen.

Happy running!!!

Solomon once wrote "Better is open rebuke, than hidden love".  So say the words-DC Talk






No comments:

Post a Comment