Friday, July 25, 2014

There is power in the name of Jesus

There is power in the name of Jesus


"For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE WILL BOW, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." Philippians 2:9-11


Have you ever felt hopeless, helpless or so defeated that you felt you didn't have the strength to make it even one more day?  While the world is so nonchalant about the use of His name, carelessly saying "oh my God" as often as they might say the name of their brand of clothing, there is amazing power in His name.  Infinite, unlimited, and uncontainable power.... the power to change our hopelessness into hope and our defeat into victory.  In fact, at the very mention of It, "every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord".  Now that is power!

Several years ago, I woke with a terrible case of food poisoning the day before I was to run the Bass Pro marathon for the first time.  My husband urged me to stay home but I insisted that God would provide.  As he reluctantly drove me and the kids to Springfield for the race, I began to grow more uncertain myself as the nausea and stomach cramps became worse.  The day before a race, it's very important to eat and hydrate well.   I was unable to do much of either aside from keeping down a powerade and a portion of a protein bar before going to bed.  I woke early on Sunday morning (still queasy and weak) before the race to attend the church service they offered (love this race for that very reason).  As it was ending, I sat in my chair sobbing and silently calling out to Jesus.  The pastor, also a runner in the marathon, prayed with me and then we set off to get into the starting line.

Many times that day, I called out the name "Jesus" and many times He answered.  I found that merely speaking his name out loud gave me the strength I needed to go one more step.  Step by step and mile after mile, I praised Him out loud calling out His name.  I finished with a respectable time and was overwhelmed by His presence.  You see, when you call Him, He listens.  When you invite Him into your life, He comes.  And when you need Him, He is always there.  If you trust Him, just the mention of His name will give you the strength you need to face whatever you are going through. "The LORD is my strength and shield. I trust him with all my heart. He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy. I burst out in songs of thanksgiving." Psalm 28:7

Heavenly Father, thank you for hearing us when we cry out to You.  Thank you for being our refuge and strength in times of trouble.  Thank you also for those times of trouble.  It's through them that we learn of Your saving grace and the power of Your Name.  May we be ever conscious of your Holiness and never speak your name in vain-but with reverence, awe and expectation dare to utter the name Jesus.  In Your precious name we pray Lord, Amen.

Happy running!!!
www.team413.org


There is power in the name of Jesus-Jesus Culture


No comments:

Post a Comment