Tuesday, November 2, 2021

BASS PRO MIDWEEK MOTIVATION - Ready for Race Day

Hello runner friends!
Welcome back to the Bass Pro Fitness Series
MIDWEEK M😊TIVATI😊N blog!

Now let's get started by talking about something that most likely has you both scared and excited at the same time... Race Day!!!! This is even more true if it's your first half or full marathon. You might even be saying to yourself right now, "Why did I sign up to do this?" If that's you, take heart. You're not alone. Lots of runners, first-timers and veterans alike, are thinking the very same thing as we speak.

So in an effort to dispel those fears, check out what several first-time Bass Pro Marathon runners had to say about their experience in 2020 and why you should be excited about 2021 and consider running with one of the BP pacers!! 

Shannon on the left and your's truly on the right

In 2020 I ran the Bass Pro Marathon, which was my first ever marathon. After 12 half marathons, I decided to take the plunge. I chose Bass Pro because of the encouraging environment, organizational values, and community support. The pacers provided were awesome and the entire race experience was truly one of a kind. For any first timers thinking about completing a marathon, I highly encourage you to choose Bass Pro. You won’t regret it! Being an experienced runner, I still found the marathon to be quite different than what I was used to. This is where the pacers came in! Using a pacer also kept me motivated to keep running on pace and inspired me to push harder. I am so thankful to have used a pacer in my first marathon as it allowed me to stay on pace for the entire race, not just the beginning. My pacers, Melissa and Shannon, kept our group on pace and motivated each of us individually. They were constantly checking in on us all while keeping our group on time. I had a wonderful experience using a pacer and would recommend using their pacers! - Kelsie Linebeck

Cassie on left, Jeannette on right

I ran the Bass Pro Marathon last year! It was my first marathon ever… and before this I had only done 2 half marathons. It’s always been a bucket list goal of mine to run a full marathon. I chose this race specifically because it is a great course for first timers - very flat - and I attended college at Missouri State, so it was fun to run in Springfield again! I would say to anyone running this, to just trust your training and your body! You are more prepared than you realize! Also, find a group of people and pacers to run with! Our awesome pacers and group of friends made it that much more fun! - Cassie Hindman

I ran the marathon last year for Bass Pro. When I originally signed up, I signed up for the half marathon. I was running by myself at that time. When I started to actually run with my WooHoo Crew (my running tribe), I fell in love with running again. Not that I disliked running, but with friends it was so much more fun and I didn’t care how long it took to get a run completed, which was a first for me. I was persuaded into running the marathon because well if you’re already running 16 miles, might as well do 26.2 right? This was the BEST impulsive decision I have ever made. I had the most amazing time running the Bass Pro marathon with all of my WooHoo Crew and our wonderful pacers. We smiled, laughed, and most importantly shared stories and pushed each other to keep going. We didn’t come in first, but we did encourage everyone we saw, and that’s a win in my book. - Jeanette Luttrell



My first time running Bass Pro was 2019 and it was my first half marathon. I literally signed up two weeks before marathon weekend pretty much because all my friends said “hey if you’re going to run a marathon bass pro should be your first”, lol! I had just finished another race and was still on that running high. I had no idea what I was in for but let me tell you, it was the best experience I could have ever asked for!! My longest single distance prior to the Bass Pro Half was 10 miles at the Ultra Sweaty Santa and I was super nervous but I showed up and finished strong. The next year (2020) I ran my first marathon at Bass Pro, this time with my “Girl Gang” I had linked up with and trained with much of the year. It was an amazing experience I will never forget! I remember at mile 17 I really started feeling tired and questioning why I was even doing this, but all it took were some words of encouragement from my squad and our awesome pacers and my head was back in the game. There were tears of joy shed at the finish line for sure! There is truly something to be said about showing yourself what you’re capable of! Just remember, like Goggins says, when you feel like you have nothing left to give, you’ve got at least 60% left in the tank! Get out of your head and get it done! - Angi Betran

Randi on left, Gretchen on right

Bass Pro was my first half marathon in 2015 and my first marathon in 2020. It’s one of my favorite races of all time, and one I will continue to recommend to new and seasoned runners! I didn’t know what to expect when I decided to make Bass Pro my first half, but I knew for sure that I wanted it to be my first marathon based on my previous experiences at this race! The atmosphere is amazing—the runners, spectators, and volunteers are all so positive and encouraging, and the course is so beautiful and flat, perfect for a first timer. I can’t wait to come back and race Bass Pro again. My biggest advice for anyone running this weekend is to have fun. You’ve put in all the work up to this point and you’re ready, so go out there and have a great time, meet some new people along the way, and finish the race strong! You’ve got this - Randi Cicardi

I chose Bass Pro Marathon as my first marathon because my friends had done the Half before and told me about what a great race it was! Great aid stations, great crowds and the swag was awesome too. I was excited to be able to participate in such a well put on event that was fairly close to home. My advice to anyone running this race for the first time is to really enjoy every single moment of it. It will get hard, but trust your training and stick with it! One of our pacers last year, Ed Green, said something that still sticks with me a year later. He said “I know it is hard but if it was easy everyone would do it. You are part of a small group of people who have done it."  I was so thankful for that advice. - Gretchen Puett


Do you just love their attitudes or what? Each of these marathon finishers took advantage of a BP pace group which is one of the main reasons they all had so much fun and still smile at the mention of Bass Pro today! But in an effort to calm your fears and apprehension even further, here are five tips that will help to ensure that you are ready to run the race Sunday.


1. Pack your bag now. Seriously, think about what you'll need (frequently checking race day conditions) and pack it. And yes... pack extra. Packing your bag early will help ease your anxiety now knowing that you are prepared. And speaking of packing a bag, be sure to pack diaper rash cream for chafing, comfortable clothes for the ride home, and of course what you'll be wearing on race day. And as someone who knows from experience how your feet might feel at the end of the race, pack sliders. You may end up with some black toenails that won't feel very good being shoved into a normal shoe. Your feet might also swell so be ready! As far as hydration, there are ample water stations eliminating your need to pack your own (the less weight the better you run) and plenty of snacks as well. However, packing a few of your own gels or nutrition bars is always a great idea keeping in mind the age-old rule that you should never try anything new on race day. 


2. Make a game plan to receive encouragement. This can actually make or break your race. Bass Pro is a great course with lots of access points for your family and/or friends to follow you and cheer you on as you strive to complete your 13.1 or 26.2 miles. A motivational hand-made sign, a little cowbell, or a high-five can go a long way into filling your tank with joy. And let me tell you this from experience.... joy is your strength. Fight to keep it! 


3. Remember that the night before the night before the race is the optimal time to be sure that you get a little extra shut-eye. Why? Because race day jitters will most likely keep you from sleeping well the night before the race. This is perfectly normal and most-likely won't affect your performance at all as long as you manage a few hours of sleep. 


4. Make a flat self and then set your alarm. That means laying out everything that your full self will be wearing and/or carrying. This will exponentially increase your chances of catching a few z's. Knowing that you have everything you need in one place does wonders to calm the nerves. And here's an extra hint... for those of you sharing a hotel room with people that you don't want to wake up, store all this in the bathroom so you can quickly and quietly change there before exiting the room. 


5. Make it a weekend for fun. If you can, plan to come in early and bring the family or a few friends. Hit the expo and then hit the town. There are so many wonderful things to do and see in Springfield that you might even want to stay an extra day or two

So there you have it friends. There are lots of reasons to be excited about this year's Bass Pro Marathon/Half. The biggest reason though is this... you will be participating in an event that will leave you with memories for years to come and will allow you to be, as Ed Green says, part of a small group of people who have done it. Do you just love that or what? I love being a part of that small group. It's one of the reasons I come back year after year. So go get packed and I'll see you at the start line!

Happy Running!!







No comments:

Post a Comment