Wednesday, November 17, 2021

The bucket list life

"But you should keep a clear mind in every situation. Don’t be afraid of suffering for the Lord. Work at telling others the Good News, and fully carry out the ministry God has given you. As for me, my life has already been poured out as an offering to God. The time of my death is near." 2 Timothy 4:5-6 NLT


In an article published Tuesday by Penn-Live Patriot News, elite runner Diane Berberien said, “The doctor told me when she gave me the death sentence, to ‘get out your bucket list'. I said to her, ‘I know you don’t know me, but I’ve lived a bucket list.’” Diane went on to say, "Yes, I do know I’m dying. I know that my body is breaking down. My mind is changing a little bit, but I’m not done." True to her word, Diane will have one last race on Sunday at the Philadelphia Marathon where she will be pushed in a cart by a team of 20 friends and family. They will work in shifts for a half marathon and an 8K on Saturday, and 26.2 more miles on Sunday. When asked why this was so important, Diane said, "It’s me leaving. I say my own ashes, but my energy, my spirit. I’m leaving it on the streets of Philadelphia. That’s how I picture it. I’m leaving my life out there, my energy. For everybody. Everybody that runs the streets of Philadelphia now will have Diane Berberian with them.”

And you know, when it comes to living a "bucket list" life, or a life lived to the fullest with no regrets, you and I would do well to follow the example of Paul who, upon nearing his death, said, "As for me, my life has already been poured out as an offering to God." Paul had held nothing back in his service to the the Lord. He could die in peace with no regrets because he had given his whole life. He suffered much to fully carry out the ministry God had given him and worked wholeheartedly telling others about the Good News of the Gospel--the very things he told Timothy to do as well. You see, in the end, it won't matter if you and I went skydiving, ran a marathon, or rode a bull (all things on a typical bucket list). The only thing that will matter is whether we fully carried out the ministry we were given. That's the Christian "bucket list" life. 

So if you, like Diane, were told that you were going to die soon and to get out your bucket list, what would you say? What could you say? Could you say, "I'm living my 'bucket list' life now because I'm serving Christ with all abandon, completely unafraid of suffering for Him?" I sure hope so my friend because living life any other way is not really living at all. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding us that death can come at us unexpectedly. Help us to see just how fleeting it is so that we would value our days and the opportunities we have to share the Good News. Remind us that the only thing that we can take to heaven is people so that we would work wholeheartedly to win souls rather than the world's possessions, experiences, or accolades. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment