Wednesday, November 10, 2021

We must run according to the rules

"An athlete is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules." 2 Timothy 2:5 ESV


On November 9, The Detroit News, reportedA Michigan high school runner who finished second in a state championship race was disqualified for expressing four-letter words of joy as he crossed the finish line. Garrett Winter, a senior at Parchment High School, ran the 3.1-mile course in 15 minutes, 27 seconds, a personal best. But officials said his profanities Saturday at the end of the Division 2 race violated a national rule that governs conduct in high school running. Cody Inglis, assistant director of the Michigan High School Athletic Association, said Winter’s words could be heard 50 yards away.“It’s a horrible thing,” Inglis told MLive.com, referring to the disqualification. “Nobody takes any pride or joy in this, but the fact is that the rule was enforced.” Winter said his second-place finish – “the race of my life” – was the result of rigorous training. Speaking later about his actions, Garrett said, "As I crossed the finish line, my emotions got the best of me. I swore in excitement of what I had just accomplished. I swore when I finished the race and saw the time. I did not swear at anyone. I swore out of jubilation with pure adrenaline and emotion." But no matter why Garret swore, he broke the rules and reaped the consequences of doing so. 

And you know, the same is true of our Christian race. You and I cannot expect to be crowned unless we compete "according to the rules.” That means no matter why we break the understood regulations or principles governing conduct within a particular activity, we should consider it reasonable to reap the consequences of doing so. Think about it this way... like Garret, you and I attempt to justify our reasons for breaking the rules right? We sometimes believe that God will understand why we bent or broke the rules and will surely reward us anyway, right? But rules are rules my friend. You and I must compete in obedience to them or expect to be disqualified... plain and simple.

So vow to run according to the rules. Don't make excuses for why you didn't or couldn't follow them. Instead put all your energy into knowing and practicing the principles governing conduct laid out in the Word so you won’t slip up and disobey them. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the reminder that the rules You have laid forth in the Word are nonnegotiable for any reason. An athlete must strictly adhere to them if they want to receive the prize. Help us to understand this so we wouldn't become lackadaisical and let down our defenses. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment