Sunday, November 7, 2021

We are better in pairs

"Then Jesus called the Twelve to Him and began to send them out two by two, giving them authority over unclean spirits." Mark 6:7 BSB


As my co-pacer and I lined up at the start line of the Bass Pro Marathon yesterday morning, pacer sticks in hand, I said to her, "Jody, if God doesn't come through this will be an epic fail for me." "Same here," she replied shaking her head. "Between my walking pneumonia not being totally healed and your injured calf, we won't even make it past mile one if He doesn’t intervene." "I'm so glad that we're together," I told her as I held back tears. "Me too," she said smiling. And then we were off. And while I'd like to say that the pain in my calf totally disappeared and that Jody's lungs opened to full capacity, neither of that happened. What did happen, though, is that Jody and I were able to make it to the finish line on time, despite the odds stacked against us.... by God's strength and through the encouragement we received from one another. Something that strengthened our faith and allowed us to plant seeds into the hearts of every person who was in our pace group. 

And you know, as this story clearly illustrates, we’re just better in pairs. Jody and I would both agree that we wouldn't have made it through this 26.2 mile race if we hadn't had one another. And certainly not on time. Which is the very reason that Jesus, after calling the disciples to Him, sent them out "two by two." He knew that they would need encouragement from one another to make it through the trials, struggles, setbacks, rejections, and persecution that would surely plague them on their mission to share the Gospel with the world. So even though it might appear that the disciples could reach more people individually, Jesus sent them out in pairs knowing the priceless advantage of teamwork. 

So if you're trying to run this Christian race solo, look at the example that Jesus set and enlist the help of a partner my friend. You'll not only receive encouragement when things get tough but you’ll be inspired to do hard things knowing that a brother or sister is by your side. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding us that we are better in pairs. Help us to remember this so that we would be better able to share the Good News with the lost by enlisting the help of a friend. Thank You for giving us fellow believers to share life and to serve with Lord. Friends truly are a priceless gift. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!! 





No comments:

Post a Comment