Thursday, November 4, 2021

Go the distance

"But I consider my life of no value to me, if only I may finish my course and complete the ministry I have received from the Lord Jesus—the ministry of testifying to the good news of God’s grace." Acts 20:24 BSB


On the morning of October 31, University of Cincinnati (UC) students Collin Albers and Hattie Martin were said to have gone the distance in an article aptly titled, "UC students go the distance in local half-marathons"—Albers by completing the Flying Pig half-marathon and Martin for completing the Queen Bee half-marathon; a first 13.1 mile race for both of them. Though Albers had not completed a half-marathon before, he is active, frequently participating in co-ed or men's soccer leagues in the summer or fall semester. "I'm in soccer shape, so why not do it?" Albers said. Albers says the hill going up to Eden Park was the hardest part of the half-marathon and an issue with his knee made it even harder. He spent the rest of Sunday sleeping and recovering, but he plans to do it again next year. As for Martin's experience with the hills (that she said were the hardest part of her route as well), she admitted, "It would have been so easy for me to call an Uber to the finish line, but I had to maintain a positive, empowered mental state." 

And you know, if going the distance in a race or sports competition means staying the course and continuing to run until the very end, we would do well to understand what the "end" is for the Christian athlete; something Paul clearly told us was completing "the ministry of testifying to the good news of God's grace.” We would also do well to adopt the attitude that Paul had who said, "I consider my life of no value to me, if only I may finish the course and complete the ministry I have received from the Lord Jesus." You see, this is the "positive, empowered mental state" that every Christian must have to continue running the race despite the pain, trials, setbacks, and hills that are sure to be found on the course. This is the attitude that says, "Lord, no matter what I encounter in this race and no matter how hard it gets, even if it costs me my life, I will never cower, compromise or back down from preaching the good news of Jesus Christ." 

So remember, God never said this job would be easy. But He did say that He would be with us every step of the way and that it would be worth it. I don't know about you my friend, but I eagerly await the day when my race is finished and I can look upon my Savior's face to hear the words I have so diligently longed to hear, "Well done good and faithful servant."

Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding us that we are all in a spiritual race to the finish line. Help us to complete the mission of sharing the Good News with the same attitude that Paul had so that we would let nothing cause us to drop out before our work is finished. Lord, please give us the strength to stay the course and to go the distance. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment