Thursday, September 30, 2021

There is power in encouragment

“So encourage each other and build each other up just as you are already doing” 1 Thessalonians 5:11 NLT


If there's one thing I love about being a Race Director, it's witnessing people cross the finish line for the first time. And while I didn't get to actually see my friend Rose and her husband, George, complete the Tadpole 10k (their first 6.2 mile race) in person yesterday (as they were out of town and registered for the virtual option of the FFG Frog Hill event), I did get to see the very first selfie of their smiling faces afterwards, which I must admit had me crying tears of joy. Later, Rose posted, "Did ours virtually this morning. George was a rock star, he did his walk and run, then came back to help me finish. These are my stats, I'm just glad I was able to finish. The last 1/2 mile was tough. My feet were screaming at me. Thanks for encouraging us to just do it! I'm challenging others to do it virtually if you can't be there. This is such a great cause." "Wow!!! Just wow!!," I responded and added, "This makes me smile!!!! So proud of the two of you!!! Encouragement has so much power!!!!" 

Do you just love this story or what? And do you know what I like best about it? This story shows that encouragement is not only contagious but beneficial to both parties. I encouraged Rose (which encouraged me) and her husband (they were also encouraged by many of the members of our fitness group) and she, in turn, encouraged others (which encouraged Rose) to follow her lead and do something they might not think they can do. This is the very reason Paul was adamant that believers "encourage each other and build each other up..." He knew that there was power in encouragement! Christians can do amazing things when their brothers and sisters uplift, inspire and cheer them on. 

So look for opportunities to speak words that will instill confidence and hope into someone today my friend. Make it a point to say, "You can do it!" to a person who needs to hear it. And then further support them as they step out to do the impossible. It's amazing what believers can accomplish when words or actions of encouragement cause their small flames to burn bright!

Heavenly Father, thank You for those people who are always looking for ways to encourage others. It's something that is priceless because of the strength it gives. Help us to be those people that are constantly lifting up and supporting others by both our words and our actions. And may our pursuits always point people to You, the greatest Encourager there is, was, or ever will be. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!

George and Rose's first 10k selfie:)


No comments:

Post a Comment