Thursday, September 23, 2021

Show love by your actions

"Dear children, let’s not merely say that we love each other; let us show the truth by our actions." 1 John 3:18 NLT


In a story aired yesterday by 2KUTV out of Macon, GA, it was reported that two competing athletes are now friends after a touching act of kindness on a Georgia racetrack. It all started when athletes Daylon Meeks of Treutlen County Middle and Aiden Roque of Mount De Sales Academy were competing in a Cross Country meet. “I started off good, until around the middle," Aiden Duque of Mount De Sales Academy. Aiden said he started slowing down, while Daylon was catching up. Then, the two were side by side. Until I stepped in that hole. And I fell and all my weight went on my ankle," said Roque. Aiden collapsed on the track. “I was crying," shared Roque. "I was in so much pain.” It was a pain Daylon couldn’t ignore. “I didn’t want to just leave him there," said Meeks. "So I stopped and sat there for a minute and proceeded to pick him up and take him to the finish line.” At that point, Daylon said he wasn’t worried about winning. I didn’t want him to not be able to finish the race because of his ankle. So I wanted to at least help him finish the race," said Meeks. “He stopped, he helped me up," shared Roque. "And let me put most of my pressure onto his arm and ran about the last 300 meters with me to finish the race.” “As I’m running with him, I’m yelling ‘you can do this! Just finish the race! You’re so close!'" said Meeks. And they did. The once competitors turned friends, exchanged numbers at the end of the meet in a rare act of sportsmanship neither will soon forget.

I don't know about you but this story had me teary-eyed. Just as the writer stated, acts of sportsmanship are not only rare these days but they truly are unforgettable. Unfortunately though, true acts of love seem to be just as rare. But they are the very thing you and I, as Christians, are supposed to be doing as often as we can. You see, if you and I are to influence the lost and the hurting to follow Christ, we must do more than profess to love them, we must "show the truth by our actions." We must love them like Jesus, putting their needs before our own, even if that means sacrificing our dreams, wants, desires and goals. Which is quite a good trade-off when you consider something I have come to know as truth... people will rarely remember our race times or successes but they will never forget our acts of kindness and the love that we show them. 

So seek to love others above yourself my friend. Love them like Jesus. You'll not only make friends but you'll inspire those around you to seek the One who loved us so much that He died for us.  

Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding us that we are to show our love to others in both word and in deed. Lord, give us a heart for the lost and for those in need of compassion so that we wouldn't hesitate to help or to minister to them. Break our hearts for what breaks Yours. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment