Sunday, October 3, 2021

Do not despise small beginnings

"Do not despise these small beginnings, for the LORD rejoices to see the work begin..." Zechariah 4:10 NLT

As I looked out at the crowd that was congregating at the start line of the 8th Annual Frog Hill Half Marathon and 10k early Saturday morning, I held back tears as I considered how much the Frog Fitness Group (the group that hosts this race that began in 2014 as an outreach project) had grown since 2010, the year the Lord planted the idea to form a ministry that could use fitness as a way to share the Gospel on my heart. As my mind then drifted back to the first of many times my son, Luke, and I went to a local race to pass out homemade flyers inviting strangers to join the newly formed group that had two members (Luke and me), I smiled. Those flyers seemed like such "small things" at the time, but now I can see how they jump-started a ministry that currently puts on more than 16 running events every year and has well over 1,000 members. "There were so many times you almost gave up Melissa, times when things weren't happening as fast as you thought they should," I said to myself as I continued to watch the crowd waiting for the race to start. "If you had, you would never have reaped the reward of seeing this day or being a witness to all the ways God is and has been working through this group to plant seeds and minister to the lost and the broken." 

And you know, for every person that stays faithful and presses on when they aren't seeing instant results, I'm convinced there are tens of other people that simply "despise these small beginnings" and give up. Which is sad because I have learned that God uses these "small beginnings" to not only shape and prepare us for bigger things but to bring people into our lives that will help turn these "small beginnings" into BIG things for God's glory. Charles Spurgeon said it this way, "God will give success to your little works: God will educate you by your little works to do greater works; and your little works may call out others who shall do greater works by far than ever you shall be able to accomplish." 

So don't despise "small beginnings" my friend "for the LORD rejoices to see the work begin." What you are doing for God might seem small and insignificant right now but as Spurgeon also said, "God accepts your little works if they are done in faith in his dear Son." So don't give up if you aren't seeing quick progress. Continue to be faithful in the small opportunities, be patient, and leave the results up to God. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding us that just because we aren't seeing things happen doesn't mean that You aren't working in us and through us. Remind us that bigger is not always better if we aren't prepared to handle the position we long for. Help us to be patient and to keep our eyes on You knowing that Your timing is always perfect. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment