Tuesday, September 14, 2021

BASS PRO MIDWEEK MOTIVATION-No reason to be intimidated

Hello runner friends!
Welcome back to the Bass Pro Fitness Series
MIDWEEK M😊TIVATI😊N blog!

Now let's get started by talking about something that can seriously deter a person's motivation to not only train for a race but to even show up to the event they’ve trained so hard for... intimidation, or the feeling or sense that a person is inferior to someone else for one reason or another. 

Okay, so I've said this before and I'll say it again. Runners come in all sizes, shapes, colors, weights, speeds and fitness levels— and comparison is not only the thief of joy but the thief of dreams. What do I mean by that? Well, just check out what local runner Bobbi McQueen said about her experience at the Bass Pro Fitness Series Run the Rock 10k on Saturday. This was her very first race and although she was able to overcome her hesitation and fear, she admitted to having thoughts of quitting, "As the sun rose standing at the start line of the Run the Rock 6 miler Bass Pro Race, I looked around and thought to myself I don’t belong here. I was completely intimidated." And here’s the rest of her story....


It was dark when I arrived. I was glad no one could see how nervous I was. I picked up my packet and shyly said that this was my first 10k. Everyone was so excited and encouraging that this was a beautiful course. I would love it. I thanked them and went confidently to wait for the race to begin. As the sun rose standing at the start line of the Run the Rock 6 miler Bass Pro Race, I looked around and thought to myself I don’t belong here. I was completely intimidated. Everyone looked like runners. I thought to myself I should just turn around and leave right now. I was silly to think I was a runner. But God, God had different plans. He sent my way the most amazing race director, Melissa Bondy. She introduced herself, encouraged me to do my best, and to enjoy the day no matter how long it took me. So, I stayed and gave it my best shot. The race began and runner after runner passed me until I was at the end of the pack. Jogging I kept up for a while until the first hill. Then, the pack pulled away. Huffing and puffing I climbed the first hill only to see the next hill waiting for me. This is going to be tough. Looking at the ground I just be put one foot in front of the other. I was about 2 miles in when I met the leaders of the race. Running confidently, they weren’t even really struggling with the hills. Doubt crept in again, the other runners followed but this time someone yelled, “You’re doing great and great job!” With their encouragement I pushed on. When I got to the lookout, the lake was beautiful and the water was refreshing. Halfway done. Yes! I can do this. I settled into a nice pace until those hills… I was 4.74 miles into the race when I nearly gave into the pain. My legs were burning, my heart rate barely had time to recover before the next hill and my heel was killing me. Praying, God reminded me of my 5th grade students. If I quit now, I would have to tell them on Monday when they asked about my race. Yikes! How would I ever have any credibility with them if I quit when it got hard? So, I told God, “You win. I will finish this.” I would like to tell you I picked up the pace and smiled the rest of the way but I didn’t. The end of the rock is… yup, you guessed uphill. Every step of the last quarter mile was brutal. I started to see other runners chatting and hanging at the finish line while I labored with every uphill step. I can and will finish. I turned the corner to the finish line. My legs were rubber. I trudged. Bobbi, finish strong. Jog! Jog! Jog! a voice screamed in my head. I mustered up the strength to jog the last 10 yards to the finish line where I crossed the line crying tears of joy and sheer exhaustion. People I didn’t know cheered and shouted how proud they were for me. I knew I was last, but I didn’t care at that moment. Crossing that finish line felt like a gold medal. Runners are a unique group of people with varying talents, but one thing is for sure they are some of the most amazing cheerleaders! Many asked me if I would “run” again. I am not a runner…yet. Now that few days have passed after the race, I can confidently say I will. Thanks Bass Pro!

Wow! Do you just love that or what? I know I do. I especially liked it when Bobbi said, "Praying, God reminded me of my 5th grade students. If I quit now, I would have to tell them on Monday when they asked about my race. Yikes! How would I ever have any credibility with them if I quit when it got hard?" Do you realize what Bobbi just did??? She set a precedent by refusing to quit when she first felt intimidated and then again when she felt like stopping. I'd say that makes her a runner wouldn't you? Did you hear that Bobbi? You ARE a runner!

Lisa with her daughter after a race in 2017

And speaking of runners, or people who refuse to quit, check out this next story from another local runner, Lisa Seachord. Lisa and I met at the Bass Pro Marathon Expo in 2016. This is what she wrote in 2017... Towards the end of last year (2016) I was at a Bass Pro event with my job at the time. Our booth was across from her booth. After I finished my time at our booth I decided to go over to see what her booth was all about. I met Melissa Martinez and spoke with her for a little bit and she was such a huge inspiration to me. I left the event inspired and excited! I had put some thought into what Melissa and I had talked about and I decided that I really wanted to get my life back on track... I’ve struggled for so long with my health and being happy with who I am and I wanted to change that. I have a now six-year-old daughter and I want her to be active and I want to be as good of a role model for her as I possibly can! I want her to enjoy the things I’ve struggled to enjoy due to my weight and health. The start of 2017 I decided to make a difference. I started getting involved with both virtual races as well as live events. I’ve done a race here and there in the past but never really got involved with them until now. I did my first live 5k on March 11th in Fayetteville, AR for Sign, speak, run and it was by far the toughest thing I had done!! It was cold, rainy and not only that to be 100% honest, I wasn’t in good shape at all, I was the heaviest person there. While waiting for the race to begin I just really started doubting myself, I mean I sure wasn’t a runner like all the others clearly were, why was I even doing this? I remember during the race crying and then having to fight hard to pull myself back together.

Lisa and her daughter at the end of one of our recent 5k Donut Runs-she's come a long way!

That was four years ago and I'm happy to report that, although Lisa has had her share of setbacks, she has completed many races since 2017. She is still running strong, is consistent, and is even set to participate in this weekend's OneSolePurpose 10k. This is all because she refused to give into intimidation. Notice I didn't say that she refused to feel intimidation, every runner will feel that from time to time. But she pressed on in spite of that feeling by remembering that runners come in all sizes, shapes, and speeds... something that you must remember as well if the fear of not "measuring up" is keeping you from running and/or racing. 
And last but not least, check out local runner Frances Ray. Three years ago I was blessed to be her Couch to 5k Coach and we became lifelong friends. Like Lisa, she was intimidated at first and has definitely had her ups and downs with keeping a consistent routine but she's back in business now!! And this is what Frances had to say about intimidation yesterday... I think the biggest thing is this: If I spend my time out there giving it all I have and I get in 4 miles and someone else gets 8 miles in that time it doesn't lessen what I did if I gave it my best effort. I couldn't have said it better myself Frances!

So there you have it friends. There's no reason to ever feel intimidated by someone else's speed, appearance or experience. Especially since, as Bobbie so eloquently put it, "Runners are a unique group of people with varying talents... and are some of the most amazing cheerleaders!" And runners cheer on other runners which means that we're all in it for the same reason... fun, food, fellowship and the finish line. And if we all share the same purpose, there's no reason to ever get discouraged just because someone might look a certain way or complete the race before you do. So get out there and smile as you go at your own pace. Then be your unique and beautiful self knowing that the other runners will be cheering you on every step of the way!

Happy Running!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment