Sunday, September 5, 2021

Fight to the finish line

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." 2 Timothy 4:7 ESV



While the majority of Americans I know choosing to celebrate Labor Day weekend relaxing by a poolside or attending a barbecue, I, along with many of my running friends, chose to spend at least one full day of it running a 50-mile ultra-marathon. And while this is something I would normally be super-excited about, I stepped up to the start line of the Katy 50/50 Saturday morning a bit anxious and unsure of what the day would hold, silently praying that the Lord would allow me to run at least a portion of it. You see, three days prior to the race I was struck with left ankle and heel pain so severe that I had to limp to even walk. It literally came out of nowhere. Not one to give up though, I prayed fervently for healing (or at least the ability to bear the pain) and then waited in faith. By God's grace, I'm happy to say that I was able to finish the race; but not without a fight from step one to step 117,530 (the amount of steps my Garmin said it took to complete the half-century race). My legs were dead weight from the get-go, my gait was totally off, and each and every one of those 117,530 foot-strikes brought discomfort of varying degrees. To say it was frustrating, painful, and extremely hard would be an understatement. But knowing I was there for a reason, I pressed on with a smile on my face and joy in my heart—continually, tenaciously and immovably waging war against the many thoughts I had of giving up, ever so grateful for having done so when I finally reached the finish line and claimed my reward.

And you know, when it comes to completing the Christian race (one you can be sure is a marathon and not a sprint), the apostle Paul made it very clear that it wasn't easy for him to reach the finish line and it wouldn't be easy for us either when he said, "I have fought the good fight..." You see, the definition of fight is to take part in a violent struggle involving the exchange of physical blows or the use of a weapon. And you can be sure that our fight, just as Paul's was, is not a violent struggle against flesh and blood but against an adversary that would like nothing more than to keep us from fulfilling our mission to share the Good News with others--a foe that will do everything within his power to cause us to surrender the battle, give up our faith and forego the reward every good and faithful runner will receive. 

So if you think the Christian life will be easy, think again my friend. It will be anything but. In fact, the closer you walk with Christ, the more battles you’ll face. It's just a fact. Thankfully though, the Lord promises to fight our battles if we would simply keep the faith, be still, and trust Him to do so. I know that's not always easy to do but will be so worth it when you, like Paul, can cross that final finish line and say, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the reminder that nothing is impossible for You. The same mighty hand that fought and won the battle for the Israelites in Moses' day is still fighting and winning our battles today. Cause us to remember this Lord that we would stand confident when we are in the battle and courageously press on to the finish line, ready to the good fight every step of the way. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment