Sunday, September 26, 2021

Make the most of every opportunity

"So be careful how you live. Don’t live like fools, but like those who are wise. Make the most of every opportunity in these evil days." Ephesians 5:15-16 NLT


After missing my friend Lisa's call on Thursday, I clicked on her voicemail to hear her dilemma. "I was thinking about coming out on Friday night for the run but not sure because I work a full shift that day and it's a long drive. But I know if I don’t go I’ll regret it. It will be my first night race." Having learned from personal experience just how unpleasant it is to live with regret (even coining the phrase "Regret makes a very hard pillow" many years ago and sharing it often, even with Lisa), I urged her to come to the eight-hour run. "Just come for a little bit!" I pleaded. And to my delight, not only did Lisa come and stay for several hours, she completed seven miles of the steepest hills she's ever encountered. After congratulating Lisa later for stepping out of her comfort zone in so many ways, she posted, "This took me WAY out of my comfort zone. My pillow was soft last night though and it wasn't filled with regret." Do you just love that or what? You can be sure that Lisa was one happy runner. 

And you know, when it comes to regrets, there is one thing that for me (and I hope for you too) makes for a very hard pillow... a missed opportunity to share the gospel or to speak an encouraging word to someone. These thoughts will literally keep me tossing and turning at night. Which is the very reason Paul urged us to, "Make the most of every opportunity in these evil days"--something we can do only when we are "careful" in how we live. Which means remembering that occasions to talk about Jesus will be everywhere--occasions we will miss if we aren't paying attention or are behaving in a way that we shouldn't be. Like being impatient while waiting in a slow check-out line, for example (something I am guilty of), or being irritated by a change of plans. 

So let us not "live like fools, but like those who are wise" so that we would always make the most of every appointment the Lord arranges--no matter how much it disrupts our schedules. After all, doing so is the only way you and I can avoid living with the remorse, sorrow, and regret a missed opportunity always brings.  

Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding us that the days are becoming more and more evil. Lord compel us to live in such a way that we would never miss an opportunity to shine Your light into the darkness and to never miss an opportunity to be Your hands and feet. Help us to live as those who are wise. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment