Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Find new friends if you have to

"Do not be deceived: “Bad company corrupts good character.'" 1 Corinthians 15:33 BSB


After sending my dear friend Stephanie a text asking her if she would once again work the packet pickup for the half marathon my running group co-presents every year (something she has done since the very first race), I received this response, "I'll be there!" "Oh yay!" I said to myself before looking down to see her next text. "And I may actually run the race Saturday for the first time ever!" To say I was shocked would be an understatement knowing that Stephanie, who had no desire at all to train for her second marathon and was going to "wing it", had experienced a change of heart and was now training. Knowing that, you'll understand my response. "What??? What's happening to you???" I asked her in my next text. "Well my training run is for 12 this weekend. I asked my coach, Jay, what's another 1.1... I can't believe I even said that." " I can!" I responded after getting over my laughing fit, and then teasingly added, "Bad company corrupts good character. Find new friends!!" 

And you know, as this story shows, the people you and I spend the most time with have the power to influence us to do the same things they do. Case in point, Stephanie was spending her time around people who knew the value of training and so inspired her to train as well (something she didn't do for her first 26.2 mile race). Unfortunately though, that can go the other way as well. You see, if the people we hang around are not focused on serving Christ and following the standards set forth in the Word, they can cause us to do negative things--things that might even be completely contrary to our morals, values, and ethics. It's no wonder then that Paul gives you and me this warning, "Do not be deceived: “Bad company corrupts good character.'"

So don't fool yourself my friend. You cannot continually hang around people who habitually and arrogantly disregard God's laws and think that you can remain faithful. It just won't happen. So look for those people who will not only help you stay on the right path but will help you grow in your relationship with the Lord. Those are the best friends you will ever have. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding us that the people we choose as friends, especially those that we keep in our inner circles, have the power to influence us to do either good or bad things. Knowing that Lord, help us to be discerning in our relationships and to find new friends if the ones we have are either leading us astray or keeping us from growing in our relationship with You. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment