Monday, September 6, 2021

Share your struggles

"But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 ESV

After viewing many of the finish line photos from Saturday's 50 mile race (a race I was blessed to complete) on the Katy trail in Washington, MO, I felt the need to be transparent with an online fitness group that I'm blessed to coach about a few of the struggles I faced along the way. "Happy Monday friends!! Wanted to share something with you about the rewards of being uncomfortable and doing hard things. The picture on the right shows a bunch of smiling runners that completed 50 miles Saturday. But they don’t show the struggles we had!! This was my feet Sunday morning. I didn’t realize my socks had nylon in them until about 20 miles into the 50 mile race when my feet were on fire from an allergic reaction to the fabric (I’ll check the description better next time!). The point is this.... to get that smiling finish line photo, you have to endure a lot of hard things!! But you have to press on through every hard thing!!! Today is the beginning of a new week and a new chance to make it to day 45 and get that picture of a person who was victorious. You can do it!!! You just have to make the decision to do it and never ever ever give up!!! It’s worth it!!" And why did I feel the need to post this? Because when others know and understand the struggle behind the smiles they see, they find hope in their own struggle and are encouraged to press on to the finish line themselves. 

And you know, Paul completely understood the importance of not only sharing our struggles with other Christians but sharing the Source of the strength we used to overcome those struggles as well saying, "I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses...." He went on to say that he was actually in a state of peaceful happiness when he had to endure "weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities" because it was through these struggles that the power of Christ was shown the greatest. You see, without life's struggles, how could Paul say with confidence, "For when I am weak, then I am strong?" Words that have undoubtedly encouraged millions of believers, myself included, to press on in His strength and not their own--pursuits that have in turn encouraged those around them. Are you seeing the pattern here? 

So don't be afraid to share your weaknesses and struggles with others my friend. They are the very thing that allows you to tell them about the true Source of your strength and the very thing that has the power to lead others to the foot of the Cross. After all, there's a story behind every believer's smile... a story that needs to be told. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for being strong when we are weak. Thank You also for the trials, tests, and hardships in our lives that allow others to see Your strength manifested in us. Cause us to be content when we face these tests and trials knowing that they will not only strengthen our faith when we allow You to work through us to overcome them but have the power to inspire others to do the same. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Not a pretty picture but one of the struggles I was able to overcome Saturday nonetheless... by His strength. 







No comments:

Post a Comment