Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Your past doesn't define you

"as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us." Psalm 103:12


In an article posted yesterday by Canadian Running titled, "Lies runners tell themselves," six common untruths were listed that, they say, might put a damper on a person's training if not managed effectively. Number one on the list? "I'm not a runner." Followed by "I'm not a real runner until I've done a marathon. I'm not good enough to call myself a runner. I need to run well to earn respect from my peers. I'm defined by my past and, last but not least, I haven't done enough." That's quite a list isn't it? And while the writer gave an explanation as to why each one of those statements was false, I particularly liked what she said about not allowing yourself to be defined by your past. Remember that no performance, good or bad, defines who you are as a runner or a person. There are a lot of ups and downs in running, and dwelling on one bad performance will do nothing but bring you down and hamper your progress.

And you know, the same is true in life. What you and I have done in the past does not define us if we have chosen to trust Jesus as our Savior. You see, at the very moment you and I made the eternally important decision to follow God, our sins were removed from us "as far as the east is from the west." Which means that God, unequivocally and without a doubt, forgets our past. Which begs the question then... if God can forgive us, why can't we forgive us? Why do so many of us continue to let our past define us? Could it be that we just don't believe that God could forgive a person who has done you-fill-in-the-blank? But He can and He will.

So if you've been caught up in the lie that God can't or won't forgive you, let it go my friend. Today’s the day to grab hold of the truth and to start living like the new creation that you are. Let go of the past and the old definition you placed on yourself and replace it with "child of God”... because that's who you are now.

Heavenly Father, thank You for loving us so much that You would not only forgive us of our deepest and darkest sins but would grant us the right to be called children of God. Lord, help us to truly believe this today so that we could throw off the shackles and shame of the definitions we have placed on ourselves. Cause us to know how valuable we are to You. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!


Child of Love

No comments:

Post a Comment