Monday, May 31, 2021

Stay ready so you will be ready

"As they approached Jerusalem and came to Bethphage on the Mount of Olives, Jesus sent two disciples, saying to them, “Go to the village ahead of you, and at once you will find a donkey tied there, with her colt by her. Untie them and bring them to me.'" Matthew 10:1-2 NIV


After signing up to run the Catching the Big One marathon as part of the Navigate Missouri Virtual Series over the weekend, I remarked to my friend, Gretchen, at our Saturday morning group run that I was sad that she was only doing the half-marathon option that day as I would have really enjoyed having someone to run with. "You know what?" I told the group nearing the end of our 13.1 mile run, "I'm really not feeling it today. I think I'll finish up this half with you guys and then do the marathon on Monday." "Oh I can do the marathon with you on Monday," Gretchen quickly said smiling. "I don't have any plans that day and it will be fun." And you know what? It was indeed fun! So much fun that I commented to Gretchen that I was so happy she had adopted the motto so many other ultra-runners have embraced... "If you stay ready, you will always be ready, because you never have to get ready. So stay ready!" And because Gretchen had maintained her training after her last race, she didn't have to spend weeks training to run a 26.2 mile race. She was ready!

And you know, when it comes to being able to do whatever God might call us to do, we would all do well to get ready and stay ready too. Why? Because when God calls you and me to complete a task, it might be to a job or duty that needs to be done immediately. Consider the two disciples that Jesus told to "Go to the village ahead of you, and at once you will find a donkey tied there, with her colt by her. Untie them and bring them to me." This wasn't something that could wait, it was to be done "at once." But how does a person stay ready you might ask? By training in the Word each and every day, learning God's will and strengthening their faith so they will be ready and willing to move at the sound of His voice without hesitation. 

So vow to adopt the mantra of staying ready so you will always be ready my friend. It will not only lead you to a deeper study of God's word but will open up the doors for the Lord to use you in ways bigger than you could ever imagine... something that will surely have you smiling. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding us that we need to be trained in the Word and bathed in prayer at all times so we will be ready at a moment's notice to move when You say move and to speak when You say speak. Lord, give us a burning passion and desire to do Your will that cannot be quenched by anything but obedience. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment