Sunday, May 9, 2021

Find your where and meet with God

"My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God?" Psalm 42:2 NIV


Upon pulling into the park just after 6:30 a.m. last Saturday morning for our weekly group run, I was surprised to find that I was the only one there. "Hmmmm..." I thought to myself. "I wonder where the rest of the gang is. I could have sworn they agreed that we would meet up earlier than our normal 8:00 a.m. time today." But as I heard the birds singing and felt the trail beckoning, I didn't wait for a reply to the text I sent to one of the girls but headed out alone with a smile on my face instead, quite confident that the Lord had arranged this much-needed time alone (moments later I got her response that the early start was for the next weekend). "Oh Lord," I cried out in tears as I met with Him out on that quite and solitary gravel road. "I didn't realize how much I needed this unhindered and unrushed time spent in the middle of Your creation." And as I watched the sun continue to rise while deeply inhaling the spring air all around, I listened to the sounds of nature as a gentle rain began to fall. At that moment I realized how deeply thirsty I was and knew that nothing in the world could have satisfied that thirst quite like this run did. "Thank you Lord, thank You, oh thank You" was all I could say. 

And you know, while I, like many other Christians, engage in daily Bible study and prayer, I'll admit that it's sometimes rushed. Which, as this story shows, is something that will eventually lead to spiritual dehydration; a condition marked by a heavy and tired spirit as the result of not spending enough time with the Lord, who is the only One who can restore, rehydrate, and replenish a weary and burdened heart. The psalmist certainly understood this saying, "My soul thirsts for God, for the living God,"  and then begged the question, "When can I go and meet with God?"  And while the "when" for you and me is anytime since we have direct and unlimited access to approach the throne, we sometimes need to find and go to our "where," or the place where we can be still, to be filled with the living water we need to sustain us. 

So if your heart is heavy with worries, cares or burdens today and if you're in need of restoration like I was, "go and meet with God" today my friend. Make the time to go to a place where you can be alone with the Lord and allow Him to fill you like nothing else can. You'll be so glad you did. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for being the Sustainer of our souls. Lord please remind us how important it is to spend regular time with You to avoid being spiritually dehydrated. Cause us to thirst for you Lord, as the deer pants for the water that we would continually seek You and be refreshed. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment