Tuesday, May 18, 2021

BASS PRO MIDWEEK MOTIVATION-Get out of that rut


 

Hello runner friends!
Welcome back to the Bass Pro Fitness Series
MIDWEEK M😊TIVATI😊N blog!

Now let's get started by talking about a place no runner ever wants to be but will inevitably find themselves in. It's a place that might even feel impossible to get out of... a rut.

Laurel is on the left receiving the lantern and a hug

But first, allow me to introduce you to the amazing runner friend of mine who inspired this topic. I met Laurel in 2015 when she ran the Frog Hill Half Marathon. As the Race Director of that event, I have the awesome privilege of presenting the last finisher with a lantern for being the "light at the end of the tunnel." And as you might have already guessed, Laurel was the last finisher that year. I would later learn that it was her first 13.1 mile race and a feat that was extremely difficult for her to achieve. For nearly five years after that day I rarely saw Laurel or heard from her (although I never ever forgot her). And then, as many people did, she took up exercise again in 2020 and found great success with programs like 75 Hard and 45 to Fit. And while I'm happy to report that she is continuing to work hard today, Laurel still faces challenges and obstacles just like the rest of us. In fact, this is what she posted Monday, "I will admit I am struggling. I do the tasks but my intention is lacking. My motivation is lacking. Why, I’m not sure. I know what I need to do and I do it, but I’m missing something. I have so many thoughts running through my head that I can’t grasp them. Does anyone else feel this way? I ask myself why do I feel this way. I’m stuck. Anyone know how to get me out of this rut. It’s a rut of everything going on in the world and my world STRESS! How do you surpass that? How do I surpass that? I’m a big believer in helping people and I know I have helped people but I feel defeated this last couple of weeks. Does anyone else feel that way?"


Does anyone else feel that way??? Of course they do! I know I have felt this way on more than one occasion, which is the reason I wanted to share a few tips with you on how to climb out of whatever fitness or life rut you might have fallen into that is keeping you from achieving your best.


1. Determine that you will learn from this experience. This will allow you to forgo the pity party that would only lengthen the amount of time you spend in the rut. Look for the lesson in this trial. For instance, look for what brought you to develop this habit or pattern of behavior or thinking that is unproductive but hard to change? What can you do to avoid it next time? How can this knowledge make you stronger and better? Are there any patterns or triggers to falling into these training ruts? 


2. Remember that this adventure is a marathon and not a sprint.
Your training and your fitness journey will have it's ups and downs, it's highs and lows, and periods of extreme endurance and unbearable fatigue. Sounds like a 26.2 mile race right? But this is the deal... no matter where you find yourself along the route, IF you keep moving, you WILL make it to the finish line eventually. Even if all you can manage is a step or two on some days, you are still moving forward. NEVER stop moving forward. The ONLY way you will NOT make it is by choosing to give up. NEVER, EVER, EVER give up! Regret makes a hard pillow that you do not want to sleep on.


 3. Choose to encourage others. I know this is totally contrary to what you want to do when you're stuck in a rut but sometimes lifting up others will be the very thing that lifts yourself up. So cheer on your friends! Volunteer to help at a race! You'll be surprised at how quickly your mood will perk up which will have you out of your running rut in no time.


4. Do something crazy! Something that is totally out of character for you. Go repelling or skydiving. Break out of the box. Do something that makes you a little scared. Wake up your sense of adventure and remember that a life lived on the sidelines always leads to a life stuck in a rut. 


5. Reroute. If what you're doing isn't working anymore, do something else. Try a different program. Join a new running group. Make a new and different goal. If you've been doing the same ole, same ole, stop. There is nothing that will keep you in a rut like continuing to do the same things over and over. Now that doesn't mean you can't come back to a routine you once loved, it just means that you might need to take a break and do something else for a while. 


6. Rally the troops! This is one of the most important things you can do. Whether you feel like it or not, tell someone what you're going through. And if you're worried that they might think less of you because of your struggles, think again. However "put together" people might look on the outside, there are always battle scars on the inside. Having a friend or two come alongside you will not only remind you that you're not alone but will reinforce your resolve and strength to climb out of the rut you're in.  


So there you have it friends. Falling into a rut is inevitable but staying in that rut is totally optional. It takes work to change those habits and/or mindsets that are keeping you there but I guarantee it will be worth it. So dig deep to make those transitions today and you'll soon be back to running with a smile on your face. 

Happy Running!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment