Tuesday, May 4, 2021

BASS PRO MIDWEEK MOTIVATION-Struggles are stepping stones

 

Hello runner friends!
Welcome back to the Bass Pro Fitness Series
MIDWEEK M😊TIVATI😊N blog!


Now let's get started by talking about something most runners never want to talk about... setbacks and struggles. But guess what? Whether we want to talk about them or not, every runner will experience them. And what a runner does in the midst of them will determine whether those setbacks and struggles become stop signs, speed bumps or stepping stones.



What prompted this topic you might ask? Well personal experience for one thing. And the fact that it seems like so many of the athletes I know, me included, have recently had or are currently experiencing injuries or illnesses that have seriously challenged their will and motivation to stay in the game. Which is the exact reason you're going to love these stories of runners who have chosen to press on rather than give up... because they are success stories. Each one of these athletes made the decision to take their setback and use it as a stepping stone and, in the process, have proven that perseverance (sometimes hard fought), steadfastness and fortitude eventually pays off. You can be sure, though, that for every success story shared here, there is a story with the opposite outcome; a story in which a person decided it just wasn't worth it and threw in the towel. Don't be that person. 


My biggest struggle has always been the fine line between hobby and obsession. Early on, I had to draw a line that I wouldn't let myself cross. Family always comes first and running last. Surprisingly there's room for both. Not allowing myself to obsess over mileage, training, or the next goal has allowed me to enjoy running so much more than if it were a "I have to do this today." Our paths aren't linear. Keep showing up and moving forward in all situations and you will see progress. My first attempt at a 100 miler left me with a DNF (Did Not Finish), an injury, and all the feels. Feeling like a 100 miler wasn't for me and I was okay with that... for a while. But once the injury was better, the drive to run was still there so I kept moving. Looking back, I realized I had to DNF to really understand what it would take to go the distance. The DNF that left me with uncertainty was the very stepping stone to get to that 100 mile finish line. -Jody Rhoads


Last fall I was working hard towards a goal. I was doing 12% elevation climbs for miles on the treadmill to train for Athens Big Fork Marathon, more elevation than Pikes Peak. I wanted to not just finish, but to turn in a decent time. Things were going well. I was doing 5 miles plus at 525 ft per mile. Then COVID hit. At first it was like a head cold, then the breathing issues started. From climbing over 3,000 ft several days a week, to stopping at the top of the stairs to catch my breath. Diagnosis, my lungs and heart were inflamed and irritated. I was having 100 bpm heart spikes, chest pains, and lethargy. Doctor said no exercise for at least a month then an echocardiogram before returning. A month went by, and lungs were no better, seems I’m a long hauler. The doctor scheduled a lung capacity test, on the good side, capacity was normal, the bad side was it means they aren’t functioning properly. Again, on the good side, my doctor said I can exercise, worst case scenario is I’ll pass out for lack of oxygen. Might make for a fun story. I started walking the dog around the block, it was exhausting, then slow short walk/runs. I won’t quit. I’ve made it ten miles again, it’s slow but I’m appreciative to still be running. I may never get back to where I was, but I am grateful for every slow mile I get to enjoy. - Paul Maness


I feel like there is ALWAYS some kind of struggle happening in life but like the book of James says to "count it all joy.." when it comes to trials of any kind. Struggles can produce much joy and success down the road. Right now I'm experiencing shin splints that has me on a break... hopefully a short break. I'm viewing it as a chance to get some strength training and other cross training in that will make me a stronger runner later. I'm just taking it day by day hoping to be able to run pain free soon. I have had many other struggles over the years but that's the most recent. - Chad Johnson

Don't you just love what Chad said? And the joy he exhibits?? But what he forgot to tell you is that he, like Paul, had struggled with the after-effects of COVID for many months but was able to come back and complete the Frisco Marathon on April 24. Of that race he posted the above photo and this... "I took a trip to the “pain cave” today. I didn’t know what to expect with battling an injury the last few weeks but I guess the “hay was in the barn”. I’m happy with a 4:20 personal record over my last completed marathon in November 2019. 2nd place in the old man group. Time to rest for a couple of weeks to let the body fully heal. I’m thankful."


I’ve always struggled with my weight since at least high school. I’ve tried numerous different things to try to lose weight and get healthier. I’ve sometimes had brief moments of success but nothing that lasted. Throughout these processes I’ve always allowed my success to be determined by a number that came from the scale. I had an addiction to the scale. But at the end of February I saw a challenge (45toFit) on Facebook and immediately thought, here we go, another challenge. We were only allowed to weigh at the beginning and the end of the 45-day challenge, that was it! Not being able to weigh was incredibly tough for me because it was what I was accustomed to doing. Doing this challenge has made me focus on the non-scale victories. I started feeling a difference in my clothes where they were feeling much looser. Before the challenge I was very embarrassed by my appearance. I would constantly say such negative things about myself. Now, I don’t. I can walk good distances without becoming extremely out of breath. I have a foot injury now (a setback and struggle) but have continued to get the workouts in despite having to get creative since I can’t do any weight bearing workouts. Before the challenge I would have quit without any thought. Changing my mindset has been huge for me. Instead of I have to workout it’s now I get to work out. This is the longest I’ve stuck with anything….change your mindset, you can do this! - Lisa Seachord



And so now you get to hear my latest setback and struggle story (there have been many). Like Jody, I set out to run the PST 100 in March.  At mile two I felt a tightness in my right lower leg but decided to keep going. To make a long story short, I, by God's grace, made it to mile 50 and had to call it a day. For the last six weeks (and it seems like every running injury takes six weeks to heal doesn't it?), I have been doing some serious cross-training to maintain my endurance, build up my strength and increase my flexibility. But most importantly, I have been using this time as a stepping stone to being a better me all around... being more joyful and thankful for the thousands of reasons I have to smile each day. And isn't joy and gratefulness what every runner needs to see the setbacks and struggles of life as stepping stones of opportunity rather than stumbling blocks or stop signs?

So no matter what you might be facing today, I hope these stories have inspired you not to give up. Perseverance always pays off friends so hang in there!!
Happy Running!!! 



1 comment:

  1. Truly something we all go through one time or another. Great attitudes.

    ReplyDelete