Sunday, May 16, 2021

Allow the Father to carry you

"I will be your God throughout your lifetime— until your hair is white with age. I made you, and I will care for you. I will carry you along and save you." Isaiah 46:4 NLT


One of the things I love most about running is the solitary and uninterrupted time it allows me to spend with the Father to trade my cares, concerns, worries and questions for peace, comfort, direction and guidance--something that I desperately needed to do Saturday morning as I pulled into the park for the free monthly 5k we host. Breaking away from the pack early on, I found a solitary place on the trail and began to pray as I slowed down to a walk, "Lord, please minister to me today. My heart is heavy and my soul is so tired and weary for reasons you clearly know." Thankfully, it didn't take too many more steps for God to do the very thing I had just prayed for. As I approached my friend, Dave, and his young daughter from behind, I watched the little girl stop walking and look up at her dad as he continued to hold her hand. Sensing that she was probably tired, I continued to watch as he lovingly and gently scooped her up into his arms, placed her on his shoulders and then proceeded to finish the race. This precious child could now rest and let her father do the work, confident that he would carry her to until she reached the end. "Oh Melissa," I thought to myself. "That's such a picture of God's love for you! Let go of everything that is weighing you down right here and right now. Allow your Heavenly Father to carry you so you can find the rest you so desperately need.” Oh my, I can't even begin to tell you the peace that flooded over me immediately after that. Do you just love these divine moments or what? 

And you know, as Billy Graham once said, "The Christian life is not a constant high." He went on to say that he had his moments of deep discouragement much like the rest of us. Thankfully, though, we have a Father in heaven who promises to be with us throughout our lifetime, through the days and times when we are discouraged, defeated, or overwhelmed with pain and sadness... even until our hair is white with age saying, "I made you, and I will care for you. I will carry you along and save you." But get this... we have to let Him carry us. We have to stop trying to do it on our own and surrender. After all, if you've ever tried to pick up a child that wants to be left alone, you know you're in a losing battle. 

So if you're in need of rest today my friend, look to the Father. Surrender your stubborn will, acknowledge that you are helpless without Him, and say, "God, I can't do this by myself anymore. I need You to care for me and to carry me all the days of my life until we reach the end." 

Heavenly Father, thank You being the God of all our days. From first breath to last, You have promised to walk beside us and carry us along. Thank You for loving us like that Lord and for the peace You bring to all those who surrender their will and place their trust in You. Help us to quit fighting Lord and to lay our burdens down at the foot of the Cross today. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment