Tuesday, March 9, 2021

BASS PRO MIDWEEK MOTIVATION - Reward yourself

Hello runner friends!
Welcome back to the Bass Pro Fitness Series
MIDWEEK M😊TIVATI😊N blog.



Now let's get started by talking about how consistently rewarding yourself can keep you motivated for the long run. But before we do, I urge you to look at rewards or prizes from the eyes of your younger self (think kindergarten and elementary school). Stickers were the bomb back then right? Especially when they were placed beside your name after completing a task or passing a test. Do you remember how excited you were as you competed with others to get the most stars or to get those "special" stickers?  I don't know about you but when I knew there was a gold star involved, I most certainly put forth extra effort. 


So while there are many different reasons rewards are given, for the sake of this article we will be talking about two...

1. The return for performance of a desired behavior; positive reinforcement.

2. Something that is given for some attainment.


Positive Reinforcement
- I love this one. This is something long distance runners have learned to embrace but would serve all runners well. Why? Because running for extended periods of time can not only be boring but tiring; two things that will cause a runner to entertain thoughts of giving up. Continuous rewards provide positive reinforcement which will help runners avoid these thoughts and feelings. How does this work? Well.... running intervals (running for a set period, followed by walking for a set period from start to finish) is the way the majority of ultra runners complete long distances and a technique that is soaring in popularity for distances from the 5k to the marathon. And the reason it works is because a runner gets a rest reward for every run segment. To see how that looks in real time, consider what my friend, Jody Rhoads, and I did over the weekend to complete a 50k training run. We ran for 45 seconds and then walked for 30 seconds. We did this from start to finish which means we received hundreds of rewards in the form of walk breaks over the period of 31 miles. We didn't mind putting in the work because we knew that a reward would follow our effort. See how the rewards worked as positive reinforcement? 



Something that is given for some attainment. Alright. So while this might look different for everyone, my version is coffee! There is no better reward that I can think of for finishing up a long run, hard run or any run for that matter. The thought of giving myself a hot cup of java after putting forth some determined effort can literally keep me motivated for tens of miles and get me out the door in the morning. And while I don't know what type of reward will motivate you, check out the rewards a few of my friends said inspire them to press on. 




Guys!! We made it through week 1! Reward yourselves - small victories need to be celebrated! Here’s what my hubby rewarded me with! On to week 2!! - Amber Box on completing day seven of the 45toFit 45-day program (and inspiring this subject because she is still killing her workouts). 


And Jill Brockman had this to say... When I complete my weekend long run training... of course it’s pizza on Sunday nights;) I also motivate myself with new shoes! Anytime I’m completing a big race such as a marathon or 50k... new shoes or running attire are always the reward! I use this for both of my teenage daughters if they do a half marathon! When I complete my upcoming 100 miler I’m treating myself with a trip to the beach! Can’t wait!! 


And you'll love how Alicia Adamson motivates herself to keep on going... How I reward myself. I had to really think about this. Do I even reward myself for accomplishing goals? When I really sat down to think about it, I reward myself daily. Sometimes it is allowing that sweet treat in the evening after a long hard workout. Sometimes, it is popcorn and movie night just because I made it through my stressful work day. It really just depends on what I accomplished that day that I feel like I need to reward myself. Life is too short not to allow grace and rewards. Eat the cake.


A reward process is important because it gives short-term incentives for the bigger goal. If that makes sense. And it gives you a tangible reward. it has shown in some people that shopping or giving you something, releases dopamine and a sense of euphoria. I have a list of things that I would like for myself, and if I reach a goal and I'm able to buy something off that list. - Rachel Bowers who is also training for an upcoming ultra


For the goal I just reached, I am buying new jeans that fit. They will reaffirm my sense of accomplishment every time I put them on AND keep me accountable so I do not go back. - Rebecca Ito on reaching a milestone she has been working very hard to attain

So there you have it friends. The power of prizes doesn’t stop at childhood. So find what rewards motivate you to do hard things and attain your goals and give them to yourself. Create a reward system so you'll have something to work towards receiving. Heck, be like a kid again and track your progess with good old-fashioned tally marks, or make a chart complete with stars and stickers. Place it somewhere visible (think the refrigerator where your mom used to post your accomplishments) so you’ll see it often and remember how far you've come and what lies in store if you don't give up. That's the power of the reward system and positive reinforcement. 

Happy Running!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment