Tuesday, March 23, 2021

BASS PRO MIDWEEK MOTIVATION-Just have fun

Hello runner friends!
Welcome back to the Bass Pro Fitness Series
MIDWEEK M😊TIVATI😊N blog.



Now let's get started by talking about something that can literally zap your motivation to run... seriousness. Yep, I said it. The quality or state of being serious or of grave or somber disposition, character, or manner can take all the fun out of running which can in turn cause you to lose all motivation to continue lacing up day after day.

And now let's talk about fun which can be defined as an action that provides amusement or arouses laughter and lacks a serious or ulterior purpose. Why are we talking about fun? Because well... it's fun. And also because putting the fun back into running can make all the difference in how you feel about your training and your performance. But before I go any further, check out what my friend Keaton Garret wrote about his experience participating in his first Last Man Standing event last weekend; the experience that inspired this blog.
 

53.8 Miles
As I get older, I’ve figured out this is a lifetime sport and if I wanna do it for life I’ve gotta be smart. Friday I was having a little plantar pain out of nowhere. It stayed at bay for most of the race but twisted my ankle a bit. Live to fight another day. Happy with getting in the miles and staying awake past my bedtime.
A year ago this month was my first time ever running more than a half marathon. 26+ miles. A year from then, I have doubled! Woot. Happy with what I did, gonna do more.
I’m always telling the kids I coach that there’s no point in doing this if you don’t enjoy it and still have fun. There’s no point if you’re not having fun. I’m having fun...

Do you just love this story or what? First of all, let's look at the most important thing Keaton learned from his experience... there's no point in running if you're not having fun--a lesson he was blessed to learn at such a young age. 

So if your motivation has been lagging because you've been taking your training too seriously, let's look at a few ways you can put the fun back into running. And remember, unless you're paying the rent with all your race winnings, there's really no reason to take running so seriously... or life for that matter considering that none of us are getting out of this thing alive. So here goes....


Go on a group run

This is by far one of the best ways to put the fun back in running. At least once a week, run with friends and let them dictate the pace, allowing yourself extra time to complete the run if the pace is slower than yours. Focus on the moment and actively engage yourself in the conversation. And if you're not part of a running group, look for one in your area or start your own. It's well worth the time and the effort. 


Let go of the pressure

As every runner comes to know, it can be really easy to let outcomes determine the success of your running. In fact, looking at times, race results, paces and other data can become an obsession. And while that's not all bad for keeping you motivated, one bad race or workout can quickly zap that motivation. So put less pressure on yourself by celebrating the effort more than the outcome. And if you find that hard to do, leave your GPS watch at home and run for time. This will allow you to rejoice when you're done no matter how fast or slow you went. I personally do this often when I need an attitude adjustment. 


Enter a race for fun

That doesn't mean that you can't prepare or even go hard, it just means that you will make the determination beforehand to have fun. You might even think about doing an obstacle course race, a trail run or even a mud run. Look at doing something different than you normally do and just go and enjoy yourself! And think of this... by doing something you’ve never done before, you'll have nothing to compare it to and can trade your competitive streak for a laughing streak. 



Remember two things

Plain and simple, there are two things nearly every runner will forget if they're not careful. The first is this... running is a gift from our Creator. We did nothing to earn it, are many times not thankful for it, and don’t appreciate and cherish it as we should. But as someone who has worked in the health care field for most of their adult life, I will tell you this... there are millions of people in the world who, due to injury or illness, cannot run and would do anything to partake in it--to feel their feet hit the ground, to experience the rush of endorphins, to breathe in the outside air, and to experience the aftereffects of a good running workout. Remember that the next time you're taking it too seriously; running is a gift to be enjoyed and to delight in. 

And the second thing is this... there will come a time in every runner's life (if they are blessed to grow old that is) when they will no longer be able to run. It's just a fact. And to understand what that might look like, consider this story I want to share with you. My love of running stemmed from the joy my father had for running and passed on to me and my siblings. Since the time I was a little girl, I can remember him running every day and completing at least one twenty miler each week for fun (there were no races, events or GPS watches back then so it was literally just for fun). He would always tell me how much nicer the world seemed after a good run. This man ran through every condition imaginable (even a blizzard up in North Missouri one year) and always came back smiling. But just yesterday, my Father (who had been reduced to walking a few years ago due to heart trouble) after asking me where my 100-mile race was this weekend said, "You enjoy that Mimi. There's not many people who can do it and you won't be able to do it forever. You're really blessed, you know that?" "Yes Dad I sure do." I replied holding back tears, "I will enjoy every single minute of it."   

So there you have it friends. There's really no reason to take running so seriously. Enjoy every mile, every sunrise, every sunset, every friendship, every new road, and everything else running gives you. Take the time to be thankful and keep lacing up those shoes. Running is really so much fun when you remember what a gift it is!

Happy Running!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment