Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Rejoice in small beginnings

Do not despise these small beginnings, for the LORD rejoices to see the work begin, to see the plumb line in Zerubbabel’s hand.” (The seven lamps represent the eyes of the LORD that search all around the world.)" Zechariah 4:10 NLT


As I opened up my Facebook memories yesterday, I was moved to tears by the picture (me, my son and his friend after a race) and the words I posted nine years ago on March 24, 2012, "Woot! Woot! And give God the glory glory!!!! We just finished ... together. They ran it right under 30 minutes. I'm so proud of them!!" And while I'll admit that many of those tears were because I truly miss my son, Luke, who is now grown and out of the house, the majority of them were shed at the realization that God is so very good and so very, very faithful. You see, that was the day I first acted on the vision that God had placed on my heart to start a Christian running group; a group that would not only exist to glorify God and to spread the gospel but to be the hands and feet of Jesus in our community. And now, because of that "small beginning" on March 24, 2012, the Frog Fitness Group (FFG), whose members are bound by their love for Christ and the shared mission to serve Him by serving others, is the Christian running group I had dreamed about all those years ago. And while passing out flyers on that day inviting strangers to join this group that had only one member (me) might have seemed like a very small thing at the time, I realize now that it set the wheels in motion for the FFG ministry to be formed. Is that amazing or what? 

And you know, since the beginning of time God has been using "small beginnings" to set big ideas into motion; which is the very reason Zechariah warned us against despising them. You see, while the things you and I do for God may seem small and insignificant when we're doing them, "the Lord rejoices to see the work begin" because He knows the outcome and what will happen when a person or group is faithful in the small opportunities He provides. And while I’ll admit that nine years seemed like a very long time—especially as I look back at the way the Lord formed, directed and established this family of believers day by day,  month by month, and year by year—it wasn't long at all to the Lord, a thought that brings great joy to my spirit. 

So if the Lord has placed a dream on your heart today, don't expect it to come to pass overnight my friend. Be patient and be faithful knowing that "small beginnings" will only manifest into something big when you do all that you can do and leave the rest to God. 

Heavenly Father, I can't even begin to thank You for what You have done since the day you placed the dream in my heart to start FFG. To You be all the glory, honor and praise. Lord, for the person who is reading this who has a similar dream, I pray that You will fill their heart with a burning passion to see that dream come to pass and that lives will be changed through their pursuit to glorify You. Teach us to love small beginnings Lord that we would attempt things both great and small in Your name. It's in Your precious Name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!


1 comment: