Sunday, March 7, 2021

Express your thankfulness

"Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works." Hebrews 10:24 NLT


Like many Christians, I have my moments of doubt when I ask myself, "Does what I do matter? Does anyone even care? Am I making a difference?" And I'll admit that these were the exact thoughts I was struggling with recently while writing several blogs; thoughts that continued to plague me as I drove to meet a group of friends for our weekly group run Saturday morning. But while making small talk with one of the younger runners, Taryn, my doubts were put to rest. "Do you know that I have started doing daily devotions again? It's all because of your blogs," she said. Struggling to hold back tears, I looked at her and said, "Really?" "Yes," came her reply. "I had gotten away from doing them for a while but I am reading your devotions every morning and I really like them." "Oh girl," I said fighting back tears. "You have no idea how much you have blessed my heart and renewed my passion to continue writing them." And with that, I gave her a hug and said, "Thank you so much for sharing that with me." 

And you know, there will come a time in every Christian's life when they, too, will have those thoughts... "Does what I do matter? Does anyone even care? Am I making a difference?" It might be in their home life, at their job or even within their ministry but you can be sure it will happen. In fact, even the most seemingly devout and strong believers will have their doubts. Which is the very reason, you and I should "think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works." Something that can be as easy as approaching a person who has blessed us and saying, "Thank you for (fill in the blank). What you do matters to me and I wanted you to know that." 

So whether it's something your pastor, your child, your coworker, your spouse, your friend, or even a stranger did that touched or encouraged you in some way, won't you take the time to say “thank you” today? Doing so might be the very thing motivates them to press on when they feel like giving up. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for those people in our lives who boldly say the words we need to hear as the Spirit prompts them. Lord, help us to grasp just how powerful our words of encouragement are that we would speak them at every opportunity. Help the church be known as "those people" who are always looking for ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works. It's in Your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment