Monday, March 1, 2021

Not on my watch

"Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the people of Israel; so hear the word I speak and give them warning from me." Ezekiel 3:17 NIV



On February 17, Laura Feet was out for her daily morning run at about 5:45 a.m. when Hanna Petree, a nurse at Seattle Children's Hospital who passes Laura nearly every day on her way to work, noticed that a man was following her. Sensing something was wrong, Hanna said she pulled over and waited for Laura. "I was going to ask her when she ran by if she was OK or if she knew him,” explained Petree. Then she witnessed something truly horrifying in her rearview mirror as she sat waiting. “I just saw him throw his sweatshirt over her head, and grab her and pull her to him and then fall into the bushes or jump into the bushes. Once that happened, they were out of my view." That's when Hanna whipped her car around and headed straight for the bushes while laying on her horn--an action that most likely saved Laura's life. Speaking later about her actions, Hanna said, "Not on my watch. That’s not going down on my watch. I’m not going to let that happen." 

And you know, if a person is "on watch,” they are said to be carefully looking and listening to what's happening around them so they can warn others of danger or an attack; something we should all be doing, right? But as much as you and I should be "on watch" so we can alert others of impending physical danger like Hanna did, we must be even more vigilant and willing to warn those around us of approaching spiritual danger; something that a majority of Christians are hesitant to do. For instance, how many believers would yell, "Fire!!" to spare someone the pain of getting burned but are too afraid to say "Brother or sister, turn from your wicked ways,” to spare them the pain of eternal separation from God? 

So make no mistake about it friends. Jesus is coming back. And when He returns (which could be very soon), there will be no second chances for us to sound the alarm. We must, like Ezekiel, act as a "watchman for the people" now and declare "Not on my watch. That’s not going down on my watch. Let no one perish for lack of hearing the Word from my mouth.”

Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding us that we all are charged with being watchmen. Help us to keep our eyes and hearts on You that we might be ready for Your return and to speak the words and warnings to others that would soften their hearts that they might accept You as Savior and be ready for Your return as well. Help us to love others so much Lord that we can't help but urge them to come to the foot of the Cross. It's in Your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment