Tuesday, March 16, 2021

BASS PRO MIDWEEK MOTIVATION-Fall in love with running

Hello runner friends!
Welcome back to the Bass Pro Fitness Series
MIDWEEK M😊TIVATI😊N blog.


Now let's get started by talking about a way you can fall in love with running for the first time or fall back in love with it again if you've lost that loving feeling; and why it's so important when it comes to motivation. 

So do you remember the first time you met your significant other? Most likely the thought makes your heart flutter right? Remember how you would do anything to please that other person and how you wanted to be with them all the time? Okay, so maybe not all the time but you get my point right? Well running is just like that. When you learn to love it, it will be something you look forward to which will make it easier to get in those training miles. And you know where training miles lead? To the finish line, which leads to a finisher's medal. And doesn't everyone love having a finisher's medal placed around their necks? Of course. But unfortunately, earning that prize requires a lot of work... work that won't feel so much like work if you love what you're doing. 

And just how can you get that loving feeling? Or get it back if you've lost it? You know, the loving feeling the Righteous Brothers sings about that is "gone, gone, gone, whoa-oh?" One word... volunteer. Not just for anything though but for a race. You see, if you want to be motivated to run, or to push yourself harder or further than you currently are, watching other runners who are motivated and in the throes of attempting those things you want to be motivated to attempt will jump-start your achy, breaky heart. Oh wait, that's a song for another time. Let's move on by checking out some of the volunteers' stories from the Racing for Daylight 12-hour Ultra I was blessed to direct and run last weekend. 

First up is Jim Burns who many of you readers will recognize. Jim has participated in this race since the very first year. However, due to injury, Jim had to sit this one out. But.... he still participated by volunteering! And by doing so not only kept himself motivated to hold onto his love of running so he will return to the sport when he's healed, but motivated everyone around him. 


Even though I was unable to run this year, I sure enjoyed this event immensely. So many people I see at races that I never have a chance to actually talk to I was able to spend a few moments with and listen to and share stories with. To me that is something special. I want to thank Laura Shoephorster and Stephanie Sinden not only on their accomplishments but for putting up with me in the kitchen. I was so happy to hear people telling me about setting first and goals at the race, so many firsts for people. I was happy that Channa Ringo and her running buddy let me take their 50k accomplishment photo. And talking for extended periods with Jody Rhoads and Jenny with the very bright lights. I especially liked her story about the leaping tarantulas at a trail race. And I cannot forget to mention my Joplin friends. Henri Rik Coëme, I was both surprised and thrilled to see you and Miles show up!! Craig Smith, you are still the best crew chief in the business. Sheree Lundien Wilson, I have always been in awe of your accomplishments. I did not know that this was your first 40 miler!! Great job. It is hard for me to believe that I actually achieved that goal before you. Debbie Yerington-Smith, I am so glad that you were healed up before this race. I know how hard you and Sheree worked for this 40+ miles two years in a row!!! I was so happy to get to walk a mile or so with you and Melissa at the end of the night and listen to you both. Melissa, I know how proud you are of everyone's accomplishments and glory be to God that we were able to even have this event this year. I am so proud and honored to have been able to be a small part of it!!!! - Jim Burns

Do you just love that or what??? 

Now meet new runner Stephanie Sinden. You'll love her story too! She was not a runner (and I don't think the thought of becoming one ever crossed her mind) until she volunteered to work the aid station at the Bad Dawg 2020 Ultra in November. And guess what happened? She fell in love with running that night! All the excitement the runners had for the sport inspired her to begin running herself. She had been working really hard and completed her first 5k on Saturday night before volunteering at the aid station. Pretty neat right? I sure thought so! Here's what she had to say...


Sometimes in life we think we can’t do something just because of different circumstances . Then we are able to see others of all walks of life by volunteering. I find that if you put your heart into it and have the faith then anything is possible. Don’t let others tell you that you can’t do something - Stephanie Sinden

And now, check out Laura. Up until Saturday night, the longest distance she had ever run was 6.2 miles--the same distance she had planned to complete before beginning her volunteer position. She was so inspired by the runners coming into the aid station though, that she went out and did several loops throughout the night (while Jim Burns held down the fort) and ended up completing 20 miles!!!! How's that for showing the power volunteering can have in motivating a person? This is what she had to say... 

Laura at a 10k race in 2020

I was bored and figured I might as well walk/run, lol. Also hearing the miles everyone else ran, I thought to myself, if they can do it, so can I. Then my husband texted me after he saw my blisters and told me I needed to quit. That was what pushed me back out. You did read my shirt, right? "Quitting is not an option"? We bought it at the Navy Seal museum last week. - Laura Schoephorster

And last but not least, Jenni Sherman gives her take on the benefits of of volunteering...



This year I’ve been feeling like something is missing, I love running and competing and have done racing since I was 14. But lately that little hole has not been filling up. So after doing my longest run last year, I felt so much love from the volunteers that I wanted to give back but didn’t know how to start. So I figured I would just ask to do it at Racing for Daylight. And after coming home, I felt very happy and found myself wishing I could do more volunteering. I loved seeing everyone running and motivating one another. I was very happy to not be in race mode so I was able to enjoy everyone and hear about them and their running stories and goals. - Jenni Sherman

So there you have it friends. If you're unmotivated today, why not go out and volunteer at a race? It could very well be the catalyst you need to rekindle your love for running. Because, believe me, if running had a voice it would be singing, "Bring back that lovin' feelin'. Whoa, that lovin' feelin'. Bring back that lovin' feelin' 'Cause it's gone, gone, gone, And I can't go on, whoa-oh."

Happy Running!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment