Sunday, December 27, 2020

Keep straining forward

"Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, " Philippians 3:12-13 ESV

As I joined my dear friends, Rachel and Jody, for the last couple miles of their 50 mile ultra Saturday, I watched Rachel struggle to breathe as Jody remarked, "Since becoming a runner, It's so much easier for me to understand the analogies to running in the Bible." "I totally agree," I said before turning to Rachel and saying, "Do you need to stop?" "No way," she said shaking her head and holding up her hand in protest as she continued to walk and focus on taking in air. "We are going to make it to the finish line. I didn't come this far to quit now." And you know what? In spite of lingering breathing issues caused by a recent bout with COVID and pneumonia which caused her lungs to start spasming at mile 44 and reduced her to a walk, Rachel pressed on with Jody by her side, determinedly straining to take each breath, and indeed made it to the finish line--giving God all the glory for it. 

And you know, like Jody said, running really does help us understand how similar our Christian walk is to a long-distance race. You see, a runner must be single-mindedly focused on reaching the finish line and purposefully intent on letting nothing stop them if they want to see their goal become a reality. Similarly, the goal of every believer should be to become more like Christ; a goal that must literally consume them to the point of complete obsession. That means we, as believers, must be being willing and ready to strain "forward to what lies ahead" no matter how hard, uncomfortable, painful, strenuous or laboring that might be.

So keep your eyes on the prize my friend. Focus all your energy and passion on being more like Christ and being all that Christ intended you to be. Doing so is the only way to ensure that you will do whatever it takes to reach the finish line and take hold of it; something that I can assure you will be worth every ounce of energy you put forth. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the reminder that following You requires our utmost effort, concentration and devotion. Help us to pursue You above everything else and to work to grow closer to You each and every day through prayer, meditation and Bible study. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen, 

Happy Running!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment