Monday, November 19, 2018

The power of encouragement

"So don’t be ashamed of the message about our Lord. And don’t be ashamed of me, his prisoner. Instead, join with me as I suffer for the good news. God’s power will help us do that." 2 Timothy 6:8 NIRV


Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, standing, tree, plant, outdoor and nature
"I was running my marathon and I was on track for my goal pace until around mile 18 when the cold weather and rain was getting to me bad... my hips were killing me and I had a huge blister on my foot. At mile 24 I could not take any more and was ready to quit. I thought there was no way I could finish the last two miles." These were the words of young Luke Morrison moments after he crossed the finish line of the Route 66 Marathon Sunday. And do you know what spurred him on to finish through the doubt, fear and pain? Words of encouragement from his family and friends. "I was pushed to do so much more than I thought and I'm so grateful for everyone that told me I could."

Oh the power of encouraging words! They can motivate even the most worn out and tired person to press on to the finish line. Paul certainly understood this. In fact, when young Timothy was facing mounting persecution and becoming increasingly weary and afraid to share the Gospel, Paul said, "don't be ashamed of the message about our Lord... join with me as I suffer for the good news. God's power will help us do that." He was reminding the young pastor to stand firm, that suffering was a temporary price to pay for the reward awaiting him for staying faithful, and that he was more than capable of overcoming this trial by the power of Christ dwelling inside him. And press on Timothy did! All because of a few choice words. 

And you know, you and I have the power to provide this same motivation to others by the words we say. So look around my friend. Find someone who needs encouragement and remind them they are not alone. Everything they need to overcome is found in God. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the reminder that words have so much power. Help us to be encouragers to those around us and to spur our Christian brothers and sisters to stay in the race until they reach that final finish line. Most of all Lord, remind each one of us that Your power within us will allow us to achieve things that look impossible. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Hard love - Need to breathe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDWhCaDgd3Y

No comments:

Post a Comment