Sunday, November 18, 2018

People of praise

"For the music director; by the Lord’s servant David, who sang to the Lord the words of this song when the Lord rescued him from the power of all his enemies, including Saul. He said: “I love you, Lord, my source of strength!" Psalm 18:1 NET


Image result for runner praising pic
"You have a beautiful singing voice ma'am," the young volunteer said as I approached the aid station near mile 24 of the Honoring our Heroes Marathon Saturday. Realizing I had been caught unabashedly singing praise songs once again, I laughed and said, "Why thank you, I've been practicing for 23 miles." The truth was though, I had been singing desperately to the Lord from the beginning because I needed help. For many reasons, this was one the hardest 26.2 mile races I had ever done and I knew from the start that I couldn't do it on my own. I just didn't have the strength. It had to come from the Lord.

And you know, we've all had times when we've wanted to give up. David certainly did. Especially during the long period he was mercilessly pursued by Saul - forced to constantly be on the move and live in caves to avoid being killed. Quickly realizing he didn't have the strength to press on in his own power, David, who was known to sing to the Lord on all occasions, called out for help. And you know what? Just as David believed He would, God "rescued him from the power of all his enemies, including Saul" prompting David to gratefully sing, "I love you, Lord, my source of strength."

So if you're trying to do things on your own and failing miserably at it today, you're in a good place. You see, it's there, in the place where you and I become fully aware that we are powerless to overcome adversity on our own that we are forced to look up and find our true "source of strength." And that, my friend, should have us all singing praise songs.

Heavenly Father, thank You for the reminder that we are to be people of praise, with worship on our lips and in our hearts in the good times and in the bad. Help us to give up control and look up to You, the only One strong enough to carry us. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Strong enough - Matthew West
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_gCfA0Dmgg

No comments:

Post a Comment