Saturday, November 10, 2018

The cheerleaders

"For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.' Matthew 25:35,36 NLT


Image may contain: 9 people, including Nicole Davis, Alexa Mattson, Joel Reed, Melissa Martinez and Melissa Motte, people smiling, child, outdoor and nature
After eight weeks of training, the runners in the Couch to 5k program I had the blessing of teaching were ready for their race Saturday morning. That is until the forecasted temperature dropped to 16 with a windchill. And while most of the group opted to wait a week, two runners decided to stick to the schedule. Knowing they would benefit from having people join them on their run, I put out a post asking the members of our Frog Fitness Group to come out and be their cheerleaders. And you know what? Even though they had never met these runners, more than a handful of "cheerleaders" came out in the frigid temps to run alongside and encourage these complete strangers to finish the race. 

And when it comes to strangers, the Bible tells us that there are many things you and I can do to help them-actions that will demonstrate our love for the Father and hopefully inspire them to become followers as well. We can visit them in prison and minister to those who are sick. We can help clothe and feed the poor, and we can show kindness to strangers-making them feel loved, worthy and welcome either in our homes or elsewhere. 

And while most of us don’t have the time or resources to make caring for others a full time ministry, we can all do something where we are with what we have at every opportunity. And it might be something as simple as showing up to a race to cheer on a complete stranger on a very cold morning. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the reminder that acts of kindness can and should be done at every opportunity. Help us to remember Lord that when we do things for others, we are actually doing them for You and that our actions have the power to lead strangers to the foot of the Cross. Spur us on to be your hands and feet. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Love with your life - Hollyn

No comments:

Post a Comment