Tuesday, November 10, 2015

The greatest sacrifice

"My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends." John 15:12,13




John 15:13 tells us that, "Greater love has no man than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends." And there is, perhaps, no group of men and women more willing to do that than the American soldier. Through countless wars and battles, the American soldier has fought to preserve the freedoms we hold so dear. So on November 11, Veterans Day, a day was set aside to honor them for their patriotism, love of country, willingness to serve and sacrifice for the common good and to remember those that laid down their lives doing so.

And remembering is what this day is all about. Ernie Zackowski, brother of a fallen American soldier, wrote, "Remember a man's name and he will never die." He was the brother of Sergeant Edward Francis Zackowski (aka Zeke), D CO, 2ND BN, 14TH INFANTRY, 25 INF DIV, Army of the United States, 07 July 1947 - 28 November 1967, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania,Panel 31E Line 002. Ernie's brother, Zeke, wrote these words to him when he was only ten, three months before he died (at the age of 19) in the Vietnam war:

I came to this place because there was a job to be done. 
Right from the beginning I knew it wouldn't be fun. 
I'm here for a year and a year I will stay. 
I'll fight like hell and I'll hope and I'll pray
My being here will keep my brother away. 
Your brother, Ed
Vietnam, 1967

Sergeant Zachowski certainly did lay down his life for a friend and many people he never knew as have countless other soldiers throughout the ages. May we take the time to remember their sacrifice, today and ever day, as we enjoy the freedoms that sacrifice has given. And may we take the time to thank them for their service and obeying the command to, "Love each other as I have loved you."  

Heavenly Father, thank you for those people willing to fight for the freedom that we so take for granted. May we remember their sacrifice, and that of their families, with ultimate gratitude this Veteran's Day. And may we follow their example to be willing to lay down our lives for our friends. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Some gave all

http://www.virtualwall.org/dz/ZackowskiEF01a.htm



No comments:

Post a Comment