Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Fear not

"Don't be afraid, for I am with you. Don't be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand." Isaiah 41:10


While driving home from the store yesterday afternoon with my 10 year old daughter, my power steering went out. Not one to be easily shaken, I decided to take my chances and head to the auto garage 20 miles away. With eight miles to go on the curvy, narrow highway we were traveling, the radio, odometer and everything electrical stopped working. Now I was definitely a bit disturbed. But a dozen prayers later and with trembling hands, we pulled into the shop's parking lot. As I handed the keys to the owner, I asked her if it had been dangerous to drive it that far. Since she knows me well, I loved her response, "No more dangerous than you running alongside the highway every day. And besides it's over, why worry now? God got you here safely."

Wow, did I ever need that reminder! God had indeed kept me safe through the hundreds of miles I had trained up and down that road and many others throughout the years. I hadn't worried then so why start now? In Isaiah 41:10, God gives us this command followed by a promise, "Don't be afraid, for I am with you". And why should we not fear? Because God said he would be with us... always. There is absolutely no place that we can go that he won't follow and nothing we can go through that he won't go through with us. Isn't that wonderful to know? 

Not only has God promised to be with us, he has promised to strengthen and help us and to uphold us with his victorious right hand, triumphant over our fear and circumstances. Knowing that then, is there anything we should fear? Praise God, the answer is no. 

Heavenly Father, thank you for promising to be with us through whatever we are facing. When we are feeling fearful, please remind us that you will give us the strength and aid we need to declare victory over our circumstances and discouragement. When we are feeling anxious, may we remember that our Father is all powerful, worthy of all praise and capable of all things. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Fear not - Chris Tomlin

 


No comments:

Post a Comment