Sunday, November 1, 2015

Run with joy

"The LORD is my strength and shield. I trust him with all my heart. He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy. I burst out in songs of thanksgiving." Psalm 28:7


What a blessing it was to run the Bass Pro Conservation Marathon in Springfield,MO yesterday. The race was set to start at 7:00 a.m. but for me and many others, the day started  at 6:15 a.m. as we arrived for a prerace devotion and prayer service complete with live music! What a great way to start the day and get our minds focused on running the race on the beautiful course that was waiting and ready for the more than 3400 runners signed up for the full or half marathon. Nestled in the middle of the Ozarks, the route was lined with happy volunteers, enthusiastic spectators and God's display of the grandeur of fall. And with each passing mile, even as I grew a bit more tired, my determination grew stronger as my heart filled with joy at his presence. I couldn't help then to sing songs of praise as I moved along.

When it comes to reasons for singing, Psalm 28:7 tells us that the Lord is our strength and protection and our ever present help in times of need. And for that the psalmist declared that his heart was filled with joy. That joy was so overwhelming, in fact, that the psalmist couldn't contain it and "burst out in songs of thanksgiving." Have you ever felt that kind of joy? Unlike happiness which depends on circumstances that are constantly changing, joy comes from knowing the Lord and experiencing his love that is never changing. Nehemiah knew the power of that joy when he told the Jews, "for the joy of the LORD is your strength." (v.8:10)

So, while inspecting the back of the medal I received upon completing the race, I was overjoyed to find this inscription, "RUN WITH JOY". Run with joy? To truly understand that, I believe, begins with an acknowledgment that our physical ability to run is a gift from God as are our individual abilities to run fast or slow. To run with joy then is not dependent on our pace, our placing (how we compare to others), or the number on the time clock at the end...

Running with joy is simply the act of finding peace in his presence, trusting him for the strength to finish and being thankful for each step as we en"joy" the run. It's only then that we can praise him for the finish line and not the finish time.

Heavenly Father, thank you so very much for the ability to make it to the finish line, whether by walking, running or crawling. May we burst out in songs of Thanksgiving for this gift and may we praise you with each and every step we are blessed to take. Help us to enjoy the run Lord, embracing every moment, as we allow you to guide and direct us surrendering our will for yours. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!

www.team413.org

Joy - Carlos Vaughn

Race morning with some of the girls. This race is my favorite marathon of all time. Love it!!
What joy these two had! She completed her first marathon, her husband his second



No comments:

Post a Comment