Sunday, November 15, 2015

Run after it

"Then he taught me, and he said to me, “Take hold of my words with all your heart; keep my commands, and you will live. Get wisdom, get understanding; do not forget my words or turn away from them." Proverbs 4:4



Since before my son was born, he was exposed to running. I ran during my pregnancy and as soon as I was able to after he came into the world. He saw his first views of the world from a jogging stroller as I taught him his ABC's and the words to Jesus Loves Me while we passed the miles together. As he grew older, he accompanied me to many races and knew what the words tapering and interval training meant before he even learned to spell. So you can imagine how proud I was when he (now 17) agreed to run a half marathon with me. And, as part of his training, he ran a 5k with me over the weekend (something we hadn't done together in some time).

As we started side by side, I quickly realized that he was much faster than me now. So fast, in fact, that I urged him to go ahead and meet me at the finish line. And as I watched him pass by and speed into the distance, I prayed that this young man would far surpass me in the wisdom of God's word too. I prayed that he would seek it and "run" after it with the same determination and passion he now had to reach his 13.1 mile goal. Because, while a half marathon is certainly a dream worth pursuing, chasing after knowledge and discernment will gain him an even greater reward...eternal life.

David Bly once wrote, "Your children will become what you are; so be what you want them to be." So before we teach our children to run, may teach them to walk with Christ. And before we teach them God's word and will, may we learn it ourselves. May we be the followers we want our children to be.

Heavenly Father, thank you for the faithful generations that have gone before us and pursued knowledge and understanding so they could pass it down to their children. May we pursue the same goal as we run with passion towards knowing you more. And, as parents, may we put you first teaching our children to do the same. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Run to you - Kari Jobe

No comments:

Post a Comment