Thursday, November 12, 2015

Get daily checkups

"In my distress I called to the LORD; I cried to my God for help. From his temple he heard my voice; my cry came before him, into his ears." Psalm 18:6



That's it! As I hobbled through my morning run yesterday I just couldn't take the pain anymore and finally visited the chiropractor. As he looked through my chart and then at me, unable to even comfortably sit in a chair, he reminded me that it had been more than a year since my last visit. I silently chastised myself for waiting so long and tried to rationalize that the pain had only come on recently, but that was a lie even my simple mind wasn't buying.

Sin in our lives, left unattended and untreated for long periods of time, will inevitably bring us pain too. Whether physically, spiritually or emotionally. pain is a sign that something is wrong and it's time to seek a professional. David, the mighty warrior knew this and knew who to call when he wrote, "In my distress I called to the Lord; I cried to my God for help." And isn't it wonderful to know that the Great Physician was listening? David said that, "From his temple he heard my voice; my cry came before him, into his ears." Talk about the ultimate house call! God hears our cries for help and meets us where we are to comfort and heal us.

Wouldn't it be great if we could avoid pain all together though? Of course it would. While we can't always do that physically, we can spiritually by getting daily "checkups" asking him to examine us and convict us of things in our life that might cause suffering later. Because, in the words of Benjamin Franklin, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Heavenly Father, thank you for answering our cries for help when we are in distress. May we spend time with you each and every day, asking you to personally examine us and point out those things that are sure to only bring us suffering. May we then follow the orders of the Great Physician so we can lead a life free from the pain and distress we would have otherwise. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!

www.team413.org

Healing hand of God - Jeremy Camp

No comments:

Post a Comment