Thursday, March 27, 2014

The joy of the Lord

The joy of the Lord

"for the joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah, 8:10


Sometimes I think I really need to come with a warning label.  Especially if I'm running with someone new. Someone who may not know how excited I can become when I'm running and praising while listening to worship music. It should read as follows:  CAUTION: the runner you are next to is prone to sudden and uncontrollable outbursts of Thank you Jesus, Praise the Lord, Hallelujah and sometimes, Oooh that hurts but thank God I'm alive.  In the event she gets overheated, take out her headphones and make her lie still while quoting Psalm 23. 

The bible is full of praises to the Lord and people praising Him.  1 Chronicles 29:10 says that "David praised the Lord in the presence of the whole assembly."  Psalms 103:1 says that David praised Him saying, "Praise the Lord, my soul, all my inmost being, praise his holy name."  And in 2 Samuel 22:47, he praised him saying, "The Lord lives!  Praise be to my rock!   Exalted be my God, the rock, my Savior!"   Notice the exclamation points on the last verse.  I can assure he wasn't whispering.  Author John Eldredge said the following, "Worship is the act of an abandoned heart adoring its God."  Webster defines abandon as a complete lack of restraint.  I've been accused of that a time or two.

What can we learn from this about our praises?  First, like David, we should praise him in front of the whole assembly-this means in front of all we know.  He is worthy to be praised at all times not just when you're alone.  If you're walking closely with Jesus, this will be something you want to do.  Second, we should praise him from our inmost being.  Our praise should come from our very souls and be so genuine that we couldn't hold it in if we tried.  And lastly, we should do it loud and proud.

If you think you have nothing to praise Him for, I urge you to think again.  Do you have a home?  Do you have enough food to eat and water to drink?  Are you able to work?  Do you even have a job?  Start with that and you'll soon find that you have more to be thankful for than you know.  And remember that all we have comes from God. 1 Timothy 6:17 tells us that God "richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment." And, isn't that enough to be thankful for and praise His name?  I think so.

Heavenly Father, thank you for the gift of today.  Thank you for the gift of salvation and the Holy Spirit in our lives.  May we worship you with abandon and sing your praises all the day long.  In your precious name we pray Jesus, Amen.

Happy Running!!!

You'll want to add this one to your playlist.  Turn it up!!



No comments:

Post a Comment