Thursday, March 13, 2014

Patience in reaping

Patience in Reaping


"Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously."  2 Corinthians 9:6


The free dictionary defines sow as: to scatter (seed) over the ground for growing.  Reap is defined as: to harvest or to obtain as a result of effort.  It only makes sense then that the more seeds we scatter, the more we will harvest.  Sounds like your basic math right?  Sow sparingly, reap sparingly?  Sow generously, reap generously?

Ask anyone who knows me and they will probably describe me as "high strung" and that's saying it nicely.   God blessed me with abundant energy (that's being kind as well)  and a joyous heart.  There's nothing I would rather do than be a witness for Him.   I love to tell anyone I meet how He has changed my life.  Here's the problem though.  I want instant results.  I would love for God to transform them at the very moment I share the story of salvation.  I would even love to hear the sound of the angels singing, "Hallelujah" to mark the event.  And a baptism on the spot would be an amazing ending! 

Well, it doesn't work that way.  Sometimes we never see the harvest from the seeds we have planted.  I must constantly remind myself to not let that discourage me or cause me to shy away from my duty.   God reminds us, through His word, that nothing good grows overnight.  Just as the farmer must be patient to see the fruit of his labors, we must be patient too.   Galatians 6:9 says, "And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up."  

Hear that?  Don't give up!  Until then, we must faithfully continue to labor in His field,  planting the seeds in expectant hope of the harvest.  Matthew 9:38 instructs us to "therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest."  

Do you find yourself doubting that what you do matters? Do you doubt that you're making a difference?  Have you been hesitant to sow any seed because you doubt it will grow?  While it's true not all the seeds we sow will grow, some will.  Some slower...some faster.  And, if one grows, isn't it worth the effort?  Be patient my friends and know that, in due time, whatever is sown will be reaped.  God promises that.  Just don't give up.


The harvest is ready and the people are hungry to know you, so send me I'll go.-William McDowell

Heavenly Father, thank for you giving us a love to shout about.  Give us a passion and an opportunity to witness to others.  Help us to be patient when we are discouraged or doubtful that our efforts are making a difference.   In your name we pray Jesus, Amen.  

Happy Running!!





No comments:

Post a Comment