Tuesday, March 11, 2014

But I'm too slow

But I'm too slow

"What, after all, is Apollos?  And what is Paul?  Only servants, through whom you came to believe-as the Lord has assigned to each task.  I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God has been making it grow. So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. The one who plants and the one who waters have one purpose, and they will each be rewarded according to their labor.  For we are co-workers in God's service; you are God's field, God's building."  1 Corinthians 3:5-9
                      


I was talking to a new runner last night and she told me something that I hear so very often, especially if I'm telling them about TEAM 413 and how anyone can be a part of it.  The only requirements for membership are that you trust Jesus as your Savior and you have a desire to tell the world about it.  Seriously, that's it!

This is what I commonly hear though:
-I only walk, I don't run.
-I'm not fast.
-I can't run very far.
-I'm not good at talking to people.
-Surely, there's people more qualified than me that could do it.
-I have too many health issues.

Here's the truth.  God can and will use all of us if we allow Him.  He made us all different to reach different people.  If we were all fast, we would miss those in the back.  Likewise, if we were all walking, we would miss those people in the front. If we all ran only marathons we would miss those that need to hear the message at 5k and 10k races.  As far as talking to people, God has that one covered.  Submit your will and He will deliver His message through you.  And, you've probably heard this before but, God doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called.  

I am always deeply humbled by the last one - health issues.  Throughout my years of running, I have encountered thousands of able bodied runners.  While I will forever be in awe at the way our bodies work and the strength, speed and endurance of elite athletes, I don't find their accomplishments as inspiring as those who have pushed through pain, overcome obstacles or had a life changing experience leading them to running as an escape.  It's the runners I meet with rheumatoid arthritis who keep going.  Those with emotional scars that don't give up.  It's the rape survivor, the woman who just won her battle with cancer, the mother who just lost a child.  The runners who, after serious accidents, were told they would never walk again but are proving the doctors wrong and proving that God still works miracles!   They are the ones pushing through pain every day because of a determination not to give up!!!   These are the people that inspire me.  And these are the people who inspire others.

While I can, by God's grace, run a lot of races, I can not be the witness that God has made each of  them and each of you.   Specifically for His purpose, perfectly shaped and molded by your personal life experiences.  He has a unique purpose and calling for you.  Romans 8:28 says, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."  Did you get that?  God can take every bad circumstance and use it for good.  But only for those who love Him.   Do you love Him?  Do you love Him enough to tell people about the good things He has done in your life?  If not, what's stopping you?

Some plant the seeds, some water them. God determines our calling but our faith determines whether we press on and persevere.  The greater the trial, the stronger the testimony.





Heavenly Father, thank you for making us all different.  I pray we realize that our specific abilities are gifts from you especially designed for us.  I pray that we use these gifts to glorify your name and share your gift of Salvation with others.  In your precious name Jesus, Amen. 

Happy Running!!





No comments:

Post a Comment